1st inspection of season...Supersedure cell?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by hlhart2001, Apr 9, 2014.

1. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Bought 2 nucs last year...one made it and one didn't. Decided to go into the one overwintered hive that made it..was requeened late July, went into winter with no mites but, little stores(gave frames of honey/pollen to bolster them up). They buzzed thru our crazy winter sub zero in Dec/Jan little snow and then 4 feet in Feb and now snow all gone. Fed them more honey/ground pollen several weeks ago(which they loved) They have been bringing in the pollen for about a week or so now). Opened up the hive to check up on things..not a huge cluster..they were clustered in the top deep and had brood(not a lot) on the 2 middle or so frames..they still have some honey stores. I looked at one of the brood frames and noticed what I guess to be a supersedure cell(peanut hanging in the upper middle of one of the frames and perhaps another smaller queen cell close by). I cleaned off SBB of dead bees/wax...and reversed the boxes(brood frames are now in the bottom). Should I remove that top box until they can fill up with more brood..how long before I check again to see the new queen/supersedure cell is still there?
    I do have a couple packages coming in a few weeks and hope to catch a swarm..but just hope this little hive makes it. Thanks, Halley

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Hi Halley It has been a while Have thought of you and how the bees made out. A poor laying queen is better at this time of year than than a virgin emerging when there are no mature drones for her to mate with. I would call the package suplier and order a queen to re queen the over wintered colony if they are making supersedure cells. I remove the extra space untill it is needed it allows the bees to keep the hive a little warmer.

3. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

So if I order a new queen and put her in there and the virgin queen has hatched..will they duke it out;))..what then? Not having done this before what is the procedure(to deal with the supercedure?)

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I would cull the cells as you have no hope in getting a queen mated this early where you are located. easyer to find a poor laying mature queen to dispose of her when the new queen comes.

5. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

Stopping back in to say I left the supersedure cell..just want to see what they do. I was supposed to get only two 4# packages with New World Carnolian Queens this last weekend but, came home with three:)) All are hived and waiting for the bees to chew thru the marshmallows to release the Queens! I put them on small cell foundation so looking forward to seeing how things go this year. Thanks, Halley