1st inspection of the year

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Mar 24, 2013.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

It was 57 yesterday so I took advantage of the warm weather and headed to the farm. Took a look at my remaining hive and here's what I found ; almost all the comb was empty except for maybe 1/2 frame of pollen and honey and 4 places shaped like a football that where 6" x 3" of capped brood. They still have a good supply of candy and pollen patties over head. Found the queen easy to spot due to my terrible job of marking her ( may it was to my advantage the bee with the yellow wings is easy to pick out:lol: ) There was a lot of activity at the entrance guessing the girls where taking advantage of the warmer temps. It also seemed that there was an abundance of young bees, but not that many eggs or uncapped brood, :???: I would think she started laying 6 1/2 weeks ago when we had a warm spurt.
    [video=youtube;sUuqYoKxYAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUuqYoKxYAw&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Not the best video my phone was not playing nice yesterday

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Tim:
    Is that a 10 frame?
    If all you have left is a 1/2 frame of pollen and honey in that hive, do you have any frames of stores from any dead outs? If they are not taking the food above, maybe they'll take the real thing.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

Does the queen really have paint on her wings? Might that interfere with her backing her abdomen down into the bottom of a cell to lay each egg hundreds of times a day?

4. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Perry went to the farm actualy prepared for almost any scenario. Went thru the 60 dead out frames and picked the best 5 ( drawn comb pollen etc ) not knowing what to expect. So I had enough gear to do a split, or just add frames if needed. What i ended up doing was replacing the outer frames with the best ones from the dead out's. It is a 5 frame.
    Omie she got marked last June so I wouldn't think that having paint on the tips of her wings has been an issue. ( Heck they are my only surviving bees ) IDK still adjusting to my loses and move forward.