1st Place and Best of Show Honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yankee11, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Just for fun I thought I would enter some Honey in the Fair. Not bad for a rookie, huh? :grin:

Although the bees get all the credit.

20130924_102613.jpg 20130924_101928.jpg

2. Spaztck

Spaztck Member

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Congratulations. :clapping:

Walt

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very well done! :thumbsup:
    Slice of pie for you. :wink:

new pie.jpg

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

WOW,
    a piece of Perrybee pie. Thats better than the ribbons. Thanks

6. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Very nice Yankee11.

When it comes to wining honey competitions it is the beekeeper that deserves the credit. The bees provide the perfect product but is the beekeepers attention to details that results in an attractive highly prized exhibit of honey.

As a Honey Judge and Beekeepers Display Coordinate at the local fair, it is appreciated when people take the time to prepare and enter their honey. A good show of honey receives positive feedback from the public, stimulates interest in beekeeping, and promotes the use of honey.

A couple of hints for next year. The 2nd place honey You should skim the foam air bubbles off the top, and the level of fill you should not be able to see air between the top of the honey and the bottom of the lid rim.
    If you place the jars of honey in a window sill for a couple of weeks before the show it the honey will be warmed by the sun allowing the small bubbles to escape causing the honey to look clearer and brighter.

7. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Thanks Apis,

I figured I would get dinged on the foam. That was from our extraction from Soybean fields a couple days prior and it was light. So I could enter it in another category. I didn't know about the head space. I've also learned if you can let it sit in the 5 gallon bucket for a while and then pour from the bottom of that bucket. It comes out a lot clearer.

Your spot on though. That's the 2 comments that were written on the card. To much foam and to much head space.

The other 2 jars I let sit out on my patio table in the sun for a few weeks. It was from a prior extraction.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Appearances are only "skin deep". I'll bet if you had them in a tasting competition there would be no written comments other than "Yummy".
    Great going Yankee. :thumbsup:

9. bamabww

bamabww New Member

Congrats. Now you a decorated veteran.

10. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Ha, thanks Bam and Ef.

Your right Ef, the jar that won best of show was from our bee yard here at the house. We extracted that separately and there is no agriculture within
    3 miles of these hives. Strictly wildflower, and it is very tasty.

We call this our, Private Reserve Honey :wink:. This is the honey that will get US through the winter.