1st swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by TexasnewBee, Apr 19, 2012.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Today I came home from work. Took a stroll to check on the bees as usual and saw a lot of bees flying around, maybe a big graduation? As I got closer I noticed they were not congregated close to one of the hives but were about 25 feet away flying around a shrub and fence. Sure nuff they were swarming. Never witnessed this before. They eventually congregated on the top of my fence and a limb that was laying across it. I kept looking to see if it looked like they were coming from my one hive or the RR tie that my other bees are in. I could not really tell for sure. I did notice today when I came home for lunch that the bees that are living in the RR tie did not seem to be as active or out and about as usual nor as active as the other hive was. I did catch the swarm and put them in the only box I had, a medium super. I had to assemble some frames and build a quick top for it. I am not sure if these came from one of my hives or not? :dontknow:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

Either way, at least you got them.:thumbsup:

James

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nice little swarm, glad to hear you got them put up!

4. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Texas, I just started putting swarm traps in both my beeyards this year; couple 100 yards from my hives. So far I have captured one swarm and I don't think they came from my boxes. Little insurance never hurts! :thumbsup: