1st Top Bar Inspection

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by blueblood, May 30, 2013.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Took a break from swarm catching and spent some time attending to my yard. I was pleased with what I saw in my first every top bar hive. The bees were from my Eastern Court Shrub swarm 10 days ago. Swarms really do draw quickly! It was very windy today so I had to dub over the video to protect everyone's ears from the wind noise. Enjoy!
    [video=youtube;xAbCHeWGSj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAbCHeWGSj4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Clicked on it, and got the message "This video is private."

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All of Dave's videos are private. He likes it that way. :rolling:

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I know his "special" videos are private, but there's nothing x-rated about a tbh inspection is there?

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Geez.....let me fix that....I don't know why it's doing that all the sudden.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Thanks for the interesting video. :thumbsup:

Am I right in remembering that your entrance is in the side towards one end (LH end in video) ?

Are you feeding the swarm ? Internal or external feeder ?

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

For ten days of building, they have done very nicely. It's always a pleasure to see such nice white combs built right where they're supposed to be. :thumbsup:

8. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Looking very good Dave....wondering why not build the legs a bit taller so you don't have to bend over as far? Is there a reason for that? Tom

9. Omie

Omie Active Member

Very nice, Dave! :)

10. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Tom, I just need to buy more blocks. I am going to raise them by a block or two. It was low but I don't mind dropping a knee. I am still a spring chicken. :grin:

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That looks great! I'm following this with interest. :)

12. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Ok makes sense....from one that is a bit, well a lot older and has been run hard and put away wet...too many times. LOL Tom

13. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

When I first started out as bk I used only KTBH and when they are building comb you have to stay on them or they can make a mess in a hurry. I switched to Warre hives which are very difficult to inspect. I pretty much just watched for bees coming and going at the entry turning it over to check once in a great while. I have switched to Lang for more convenience when and simpler to manipulate hives I still keep a Warre and KTBH more to just play around with.

IMG_0608.JPG

Attached Files:

14. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Dave,
    I built simple A-frame legs for my top bar hives. They are a joy to work, not having to bend down. I highly recommend putting them on legs so you can stand and work them comfortably. Of course, "I'm" not a spring chicken!!!

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Barry, ha! Checked all my hives yesterday to make sure they are good before my trip overseas. I enjoy working the top bar hives. The bees are so much more calm. Pleased to see large comb on several of the bars with capped brood and goodies. I saw the queens in both and they were big bright and orange mommas! I can't believe I don't have any pics to share, I always try to snap one or so.

But, if it's any consolation, here is a pic of the new Blueblood bee mobile I picked up yesterday. I sold my truck two years ago and regretted ever since. Picked it up for $3900. It would book out for $5500-7500. 1999 5.9 v8 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie package. New tires, breaks and other goodies, and the leather is in superb condition. I needed a truck ever so much this swarm season. Plus, I have firewood and mulch and such to haul. It had a nice fiberglass truck cap on it but that was the first thing to go. It made me look like an old pappy, ha! Sorry my elder keepers..hehe. Selling it on Craigslist if you want it...
    DSCF8277.jpg

16. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

Nice looking truck...might want to keep the cap for hauling stuff in the winter or when raining...Put it on saw horses makes it easier to load and off load....Tom

17. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Took a look at the business end of the top bar today. Things are looking good. I don't foresee any harvest from it this year but they should be on track for winter stores.
    [video=youtube;mj3dznQOJZM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3dznQOJZM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

18. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Nice video Dave. I like the way you handle those fragile combs so carefully. Nice steady hands. :thumbsup:
    Suggestion: Try using the other (the bent) end of the hive tool to spread the bars. Slipping the end between the bars and moving the tool sidewise should make the process easier and faster.

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Ef! I will give the other end of the bar a try. It will take a little effort to break rote on that because I have used the straight end for both seasons. I really like the tbh but will have to see how they winter over. They make really nice educational props. I have had two sets of people out to check the yard out and using the top bar is perfect for that. The bees are much more calm and the comb looks closer to a build in nature. A local school class of special needs children are visiting in September for a field trip and cookout to my property to see the bees. I am looking forward to using the tbh for that purpose.