1st winter

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by reidi_tim, Dec 27, 2012.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

My hives have made it into winter. So now I'm trying to decide what to do for the up coming spring. I have 3 that are in double deep and 1 that is a 5 frame nuc. My thoughts are and trying to be positive that they will all over winter. So along that line my purchase would be 2 nuc this spring and build 3 10 frame hives 1 for the nuc that I have other 2 for the new nucs,

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If your hives survive the winter you will have an abundance of bees in your hive in the spring. By puling nucs out of your own hives to make splits you accomplish some means of swarm control and your new hives will cost you the cost of queens $25.00 to $30.00 rather than $145.00 to $!85.00 Feed them in the early spring to stimulate brood and buy the middle of May if you don't split your hives they will be swarming.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

By 3 ten frame hives I hope you are referring to "double deep" hives? An overwintered nuc, and the 2 that you buy will quickly outgrow a single ten frame deep.
    On another note, buy way more gear than you think you'll need! You will never have enough and you will always be short. :mrgreen:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I do believe Reidi may have an addiction to bees

5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I just got back from checking on my hives. We had a pretty bad windstorm/blizzard a week ago and I went to make sure lids hadn't blown off or anything (not that I could do anything after a week anyway). Borrowed the Mrs.' stethoscope (shhh, don't tell her) to see if I could hear activity inside and every hive had a distinct buzz after knocking on the side of the hive, so far so good.

I'm not going to buy any bees for spring hoping to split what I have to replace any losses and catch some more swarms and get some bees from the trap-outs I already have lined up for spring.

6. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Hello, my name is Tim and I'm an addict oh, no, wait I'm at the wrong meeting :rolling::rolling::rolling::drinks:

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

In the words of Ten Bears, "There is iron in these words" lol

8. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Two years back a friend of mine's friend died. This is a friend one removed.:lol::lol: I had talked to my friend about some day putting some bees on the ranch. My friend told me the widow of his pal wanted to sell his bee equipment and needed the money. So I bought three 10 frame deeps, six 10 frame mediums and three queen excluders. At that time, the widow and my pal told me to simply install the bees and let them fill up a 10 frame deep and a 10 frame medium, place the queen excluder over the second medium and put on the third medium. When the third medium was filled simply harvest the honey and place it back on the hive. Now what could be easier than that?

Since then I have bought four more mediums, two five frame nuc boxes and somewhere north of fifty frames. That doesn't count the second apiary that I have started with three nucs. The second apiary is going to be composed of eight frame mediums in total. Using eight frame mediums it appears that I will need at least five boxes for each hive. And the story goes on, you cannot have too many boxes and frames.

9. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

How many shallows is enough per hive? This year the bees were able to draw most of the 20 frames in the deep and at one point have a solid 6 frames of capped honey in the shallow and a start on drawing out the other 4 frames. I have another 2 shallows and frames that I have not put togeher yet. Is 2 shallows enough for 2nd year bees for an average year or is it possible that i could need 3 per hive? I also have the garden hive that is two 8 frame medium, I'm going to make 2 deeps and buy frames for that so all my hives will be using deeps for the base in the event I need to swap frames. Yes my internet buying finger is getting really itchy ( being on vacation so long and the boss lady has put a stop on my gun buying spree, she wasn't happy with me needing another gun safe to accommodate my Christmas presents I bought myself :razz:) So the plan is building 3 more complete 10 frame and a least 1 more 5 frame, thought being if you got the machines set up make the best of it.