1to1 and the screwed up flow charts

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

we had a winter? not here, the hives I have in wesly chapel are all ready to be brought back because the blueberrys have flowered a month early and the fruit trees are exploding with flowers what 5 weeks early? so whats this going to do to the flow chart? season gonna end that much sooner? and now I dont know if I should stop the 1to1 or keep feeding I dont want to build them up and starve them but I dont know if theres enough out there in the fields yet, what to do what to do. :confused:

2. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

I was feeding to build up for citrus, but I stopped last month and the girls are bringing in plenty. You should have plenty of pollen now also.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

not sure about florida. Here in kansas I have seen the winters like we had this year that are more like fall. Then towards the end turn to winter like temps in a vengence. When trees have bloomed a few weeks early and the winter hits. I have seen them bloom a 2nd time at there normal time or a little late. I think it depends on how far the early bloom went. Black locust did this a few years ago. Surprised us all and not sure if this is the norm or a rare occurances since we dont normally have winters like this. We have also had the early blooms knocked off and the bees are forced to work a bloom they normally wouldnt if the bloom they normal work is not available. This happpened a few years ago when a late hard frost hit the alfalfa and other plants 1st bloom. We thought we was done for a spring early summer honey crop. To our surprise we got a crop of the honey darker than used motor oil. But it had the best taste. Still have people asking for it. We never did find out what exactly it was they worked. This happened pretty much state wide.

4. rast

rast New Member

If you want sell-able honey that is not diluted with sugar syrup, pull the feeders.
    I know your dilemma. Belive it or not, my citrus is not blooming yet. I am late with build up also.
    Rat, been through that. Then sometimes we get what is called a "June Bloom" in citrus. Did not happen for the past few years here though.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

My worry is the cold snap coming now, we will drop 20-30 degrees down to teens this weekend and the Maples are already in flower, so are crab apples.... Don't know if we will lose those blooms

About 6 years back we had a massive black frost week in early March, after blossoms were out , lost all my apples, killed my grape vines, lost all the almost opened azaleas, ie no blooms that year , luckily tomatoes and peppers were still in heated greenhouse. Farmers lost strawberry crops around us.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

ya this is messed up, tonights going to be 39 degrees, guess the girls are gonna be loosing some brood over the next 2 nights or I need to rap the boxes to try and help them out :cry: I think we humans have really messed up this planet.

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My last years honey crop is like rat said above (black as motor oil) and people are still asking for it. :confused: Temps. going to the teens tonight, but haven't seen anything budding here yet. :thumbsup: Jack

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I can't say there's any connection between what all of you are experiencing and what is happening here---it's the first time in about five years that we are having a winter that can be called winter--cold and rainy.
    I'm terribly upset about my weather station that isn't properly meeasuring our local rainfall. Apparently, a bird sat on the edge of the rain bucket (located way up on a telephone pole) and left droppings that plugged the measuring mechanism. Together with two of my sons I took it down and cleaned it up yesterday and now it should be working properly---but there is a lot of rain that wasn't measured.
    Anybody have a suggestion how to keep birds from settling on the bucket?

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

efmesch, only suggest that I think would work is put a screen across the top, could have it overlap and tape and than wire a samll false sake to it.

kebee

10. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Thanks Kebee :thumbsup:
    The bucket has a screen inside about half way down, but the bird droppings worked their way around the interior edge. I've been reluctant to place a screen over the top of the bucket for fear that it might cause some of the rain to "bounce out" and not get measured.
    I'm still open for more suggestions. :roll:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Maybe a wind chime next to it?

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Sounds interesting.
    I was once told to dangle dead sparrows in my almond trees to keep live sparows from eating the buds. It didn't work (but I'll confess that the dead birds stopped eating them). :roll: