2 deeps or 2 supers?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by CROWEmtnFARMS, Apr 15, 2014.

1. CROWEmtnFARMS

CROWEmtnFARMS New Member

From everything im reading most people are running 2 deeps. Putting another on when the first is 80%. My mentor thats been doin it for 60yrs says do not put 2deeps. Run run one deep and 2 supers. The one super on top being for honey rob. Im in upstate sc. In blue ridge mtns. Other thoughts?

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

You can do with the bees as you see fit and I did that for a while, one deep and than supers. I change to two supers for I found that I could keep the queen from laying in the honey super better, and what are the honey supers for but honey right not a place for brood.

‚ÄčKen

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

First year and if the bees have to draw all that comb, you can either go for getting the 2 brood boxes pulled and stores for winter or one brood box and the 2 honey supers, one to leave on for the bees and one for you. Depending on location, timing of the honey flow and their duration, in some places you could get 2 d22ps and 3 supers drawn and filled in the first year. But this is where having a local mentor is nice because he knows the area the flows and can guild you in the proper direction for beekeeping in your area.

4. supercoop

supercoop New Member

I have 2 hives and I'm located in the Piedmont area of NC
    My large hive I have 2 deeps and a medium super, yesterday I put a queen excluder on and another medium super for honey but only 9 frames so the can build out. Once they fill that I'll add a deep since I have one with comb drawn so it'll help with them filling with honey
    2nd hive was one I did a slip off the large hive last year and I didn't think they'd make it over the winter but did, I have a large brood box and a medium super, the queen likes the medium super and has laid massive brood in it. Yesterday I finally saw the queen laying in the brood box. This hive I'll continue to just add medium supers and let this hive be my comb puller this year

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

with an intensive nectar flow they will draw the comb and fill it with honey. It is near impossible to get the bees to draw comb and not till it.
    if the frames are with foundation place 10 in the super and pressed close together. once they are drawn you can switch to 9 frames in a box.