2 Feet or 2 Miles - Swarm Catch

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by pascotate, Feb 28, 2010.

1. pascotate

pascotate New Member

I am going to put out a hive trap box with a swarm lure. If a hive makes it a home, can I move the bees to a super and keep it in the same yard as I caught it? I've been told to move a hive no more than 2 feet in a day or not less than 2 miles. I would like to move it about 50 yards from where it is caught. Any suggestions? thanks

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Go ahead and move it. The stragglers will find a home in the nearest hive within 3 days. If you have other hives, they will take up with the closest one. If there are no other hives, they will find their own home.

3. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Just make the move. Do it early morning so the bees have all day long to readjust to the new position. Also, rotate the box at the new site 180 degrees so the entrance will be different with the sun. This will force the bees to reorient themselves. You can always rotate the box back to the original direction it faced after a few days at the new location.

4. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

Close up the hive in the evening after all the foragers are in. Move it in the morning if you want. Not need to be gentel about it as you want the girls to know a change is taking place. Once at the new location 2 feet or 50 miles I grab a hand full of grass quickly open the entrance and stuff the grass in it. Every thing works fine, another myth busted.

If you have been readding some of the books other than those just about keeping bees you will read about the expermints done on how fast the bees find syrup feeders set out for them. You will read about how the girls will be there in the morning at the new yet undisclosed location because the experminters move the same distance each time they move.
    Also the bees smell really well and can smell a hive of honey and brood several feet away to go to.

:mrgreen: Al