2 frames of drone brood!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ScoobyDoBee, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

Just did an inspection and if I didn't know better (and I don't!) I'd think I had a laying worker. My setup top down is m-m-deep, all 8 fr. The bottom deep had a very spotty frame of nothing but drone brood. But then right next to it was a frame of older capped worker brood. Toward the middle. One up, I had the same thing. A frame of drone brood beside a frame of worker brood (capped) and larvae. This frame was obviously younger in age. I didn't see any new eggs. Didn't see the queen. I don't know the timing well enough (16 to hatched drone, etc) but it seems like there must be a queen in there to have uncapped larvae but does that mesh with the drone brood?

Should I wait a few days and just check again? Thanks.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

1st question just to be sure the frames in question were all started from imprinted foundation and the drones are in worker cells? if this is the case then you have a failing queen that hasn't sperm to fertilize the eggs or something happened to the queen and you have a laying worker. The uncapped larvae will not become worker bees unless the eggs were laid by a queen depositing fertilized eggs. they will most likely be drones also.
    If the bees were aloud to build the comb from a starter strip or a waxed wood strip the bees may of made that much drone comb especially if they were planing to store honey in it.

3. ScoobyDoBee

ScoobyDoBee New Member

Good point, Apis - it was foundationless. This is new to me (using foundationless). I do recall noticing that the cells were very large and figured that was "drone comb." Silly as this sounds as i say it, I didn't realize they would only lay drone brood in drone comb. Hmm. So...Drone this late was a surprise, but there was some in my other big hive too - just not this much. I was in the shade and couldn't see any new eggs so that remains uncertain. Guess I'll have to wait a week and see what's been produced in that time. Any other suggestions?