2 large swarms today

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Got called for two swarms today, both turned out to be large. The first one I took pics of and will upload a little later, the other I forgot to take pics of. The first one was big enough to fill 2 medium boxes to the brim with bees, and I had to add a third box as soon as I got them to the outyard. The second swarm filled about a box and a half. Both people said the bees swarmed before the storms rather than after them as I thought they might have, so that was interresting. The first swarm was totally docile, but when I gave them a frame of brood/eggs from an existing hive to make sure they didn't leave they fought with the bees on that frame (I forgot to grab a newspaper on my way up to the outyard so I didn't have a way of slowly introducing them). The second swarm seemed dry and cranky, but they immediately accepted the frame of brood and eggs from the other hive without any fighting. Go figure. Oh, and my outyard is now finally, FINALLY starting to build up... I really shouldn't have left those hives on the mtn. last winter, if they had started out west then got moved to the mtn. at the end of the nectar flow out west they'd have built up by now and would get a whole extra month of nectar flow. Oh well... live and learn.

2. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Oh, and G3, one of those swarms came from Northshore @ Pellissippi, dunno how close that is exactly to you, but you might want to check your hives for swarm cells.

3. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Here's the pic of the one I got from Northshore and Pellissippi.

Attached Files:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That's about eight miles from me. There must be some bee trees or somebodies hives close to there. Didn't you get a couple of swarms around there last year?

Did you get contacted about the cut out over in Fountain City, the one Lynda passed our names on to? I saw it on craigs list but he was wanting it done for free.

Nice swarms, thanks for the pics.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Two swarms in one day, gotta love it! :mrgreen: (that's green with envy).
    Thanks for posting the pics.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The guy in Fountain City had a friend do it... too bad since I have a trap-out going right next door already... would've been a two for one.

Yeah I got a couple of swarms from near there last year, but they were closer to Kingston Pike, so there might be a beekeeper or bee tree somewhere between the two.

Got another call today for a bee-tree, but it ended up being a swarm in a tree, I'd put it at somewhere between soccer-ball and basket-ball sized, but it was about 25' up. I put a bucket on the end of a pole and got them that way, but it was difficult. The tree was thick with tough but small branches that didn't want to let me reach the bees. I only got about 2/3 to 3/4 of the bees, but based on their behavior I got the queen too, so I left the hive there overnight tonight and will pick it up tomorrow when hopefully the other 1/3 to 1/4 of the bees find their way down to it.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Went back out to that bee-tree to pick up the hive but found they had all gone back up to the branch... so I ran home to grab the bucket on a pole but by the time I got back they had moved on... oh well, you can't get them all I guess.

To be perfectly honest, I was dreading having to fight with that tree to get the bucket up there again, so I wasn't too sad they were gone when I got back... that is the toughest tree I think I've ever had a swarm land in. It's like every little twig is made of solid steel or something. Dunno what kinda tree that was.