2 new hives - Only one eating pollen patties

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Watchdog2020, May 6, 2010.

1. Watchdog2020

Watchdog2020 New Member

We just started our first hives 6 days ago and of course, I immediately have a question. Both hives released their queens when I looked 3 days in, look equally busy and have consumed the exact amount of sugar water from Boardman feeders. One hive has eaten ¾ of the brood builder pollen substitute patty but the other one hasn’t even touched theirs. Workers from both hives have about the same amount of bees returning with their pollen baskets full. Any idea why hive #2 doesn’t want the patty? Thanks. – Jason

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you have two children, do they eat the same amount. No two hives will ever do exactly the same. Check them both in 7 to 10 days from installing. If both have eggs, don't worry. They will get what they need.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is generally accepted that if you measure any quality within a population there will be some variation in the measurement(s) between individuals. if the population is 'normal' then every measurement falls around some mean. having some feel for acceptable variation around this mean requires looking at more than one individual (hive in this circumstance). you likely can never really understand acceptable variation within a population by simply looking at one individual within the population.

a statistician might call this the n-1 rule (although it really ain't a rule as much as a mathmatical convention).

you were well advise to start with more than one hive... although I generally tell folks 3 (the good, the bad and the ugly) is a good number.