2 New Packages this year and I can't Install them!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DonMcJr, Mar 24, 2013.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well I have 2 hives out of 3 that are alive and I am adding a new hive so I will have 4 Hives this year!!!!

But I cannot Install them because on April 8th I am getting major Surgery on my right arm! :|

BUT my friend Bernie told me he will install them for me! I am so thankful and he's gonna get a few Bottle of my Maple Syrup for his generosity!:grin:

I have 2 Damaged nerves they are going to release and a torn ligament in my elbow...

You shoulda seen the cuts he drew on my arm... 2 3 inch cuts top of forearm and above elbow and then like a 6 inch cut centered on my elbow but on the bottom of my arm.:cry:

Cast for a month and Physical Thearpy for 2-6 months and he said I MIGHT be able to lift 5 lbs after 2 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm gonna go crazy...just stating that now!

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

So sorry that you have to go thru that. Hope it fixes all the pain and mobility issues. Good to have a friend like Bernie to help with the bees. by the sound of the recovery you may have to call on Bernie more than once. Good luck with the surgery and recovery. Keep us posted and we'll be thinking of you.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dang Don, sorry about your arm and missing the install. If Bernie is a keep, that is a shining example of why it is good to network with other keeps locally. If Bernie is not a keep, what a pal! Maybe the package will be ready later and you can do the one arm install and skip the shaking and just leave the package in the box overnight. I called my supplier and they said they will call 4 days prior to target date to let me know if things change. Hopefully yours come on the 7th.

4. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Bernie is a 3 year keep and the bees are all picked up by a club member that lives near him. So he's gonna install his then bring mine over. I hope I don't have to call him more than twice ( check the queen was released and maybe the 1st inspection) after that I hope I will be able to do the rest!

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

'bee' thinking of you don......and btw, don't CHEAT or get lax on your physical therapy......:lol:
    and give us an update or two.....:grin:

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks everyone! I'll definitely be giving updates on me and Videos of my Bees cause that's probally all I'll BEE able to do is take video. I typed this part with my left hand...yep I can do it but you might have to settle with no caps!

I know pt is important so I wont lax!

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That timing really sucks. But good luck with your operation! Hope you're pulling frames soon! :)

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

eish....I have always said " bad timing brings out good friend " best wishes when you get to the chop shop:thumbsup:

9. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well I was trying to time the Sugery the best I could. I knew I had to wait til after Maple Syrup Season cause I'm the only one in my family that knows the boiling/filtering/finishing process. My stepson has been helping with all the lifting but hasn't learned the rest yet.

I was gonna try and wait til Mid-May so I could package the Bees and such and plant my food plots but Bernie offered to help with bees and Dad is gonna plant the Sugar Beets so I figured get it overwith so maybe I can actually go fishing by Mid Summer and Hunt in the Fall...

So... as much as I DO NOT want to "goto the chop shop" I know it's the only way to get better because if I do nothing it will just get worse and even though I hide it well it's hurts like crazy and I'm so sick of dropping stuff cause my hand goes numb!

10. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

Don:

Sorry to hear about the damage to your arm. Especially, since you look like a young pup. Modern day surgery is wonderful. I had a full knee replacement four months back, and it is wonderful today. I had an accident a couple of years back. It left me with a neurotropic issue. Sometimes my left hand loses its grip for a moment. It could be repaired, but my surgeon gave me the same scenario that you presented. The difference is that in eight days I will be 74 years old. That being the case, I am going to live with my situation. It only occurs at intermittent times, maybe once or twice a week. I feel a tingle in my hand and in a couple of seconds it twitches and releases and immediately grips again. Meaning that sometimes I drop something. It's no biggie with me.

I do wish you luck, and you be a good fellow to have a friend that will hive your bees for you.

Do you sell your syrup bottled? Is it ready to put on pancakes?

11. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks everyone!

Lazy shooter the syrup is bottle and ready for pancakes. 8 oz or 12 oz glass bottles, $8 and $10. If you want some send me a pm with your name and address and I'll PM you back with what the shipping is after I send it. Payment can be a check or money order.

Well, Monday is my Surgery...ugh! I just got done Painting my new hive and I am going to put it and the cleaned up one that I lost in the Apirary tomorrow with one frame out and entrance reducer blocking it so they are ready for Bernie when he comes to help me!

Anyone wanna get this surgery for me? LOL!

12. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Don, I'm glad that typing can be done with one hand only---we look forward to hearing from you while the operated arm gets better. We look forward to hearing reports of completely successful surgery, helpful physical therapy, a quick and thorough recovery, and ABOVE ALL, return to full capabilitiies with bees and everything else. :amen:

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

don what ef said, thoughts are with you.....:grin:

14. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Thanks EF and Riverbee!

15. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Putting the 2 new hives in place tomorrow and giving my 2 exsiting hives a quick visit to put top hive feeders on if needed...

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Get 'er done, don't overdo or rush it when you're healing. You'll be back to one finger typing with both hands in no time!
    Two :thumbsup::thumbsup:, (one on each hand) :wink:.

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"You'll be back to one finger typing with both hands in no time!
    Two :thumbsup::thumbsup:, (one on each hand) :wink:."

don, my guess is.....that is how perry types.....:lol:

18. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

He's pretty close...I mostly use one finger on each hand...unless I have to shift then I use a couple others!!

Hives are going in place today and feeders only if the wind dies down...

One more day of having two arms to use...can I just run away lol?!

19. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Keep us posted on how things go. I have an appointment for a consultation with a hand surgeon for trigger finger releases. Had several done on the left hand now the thumb on the right is complaining for attention. Mine is pretty minor compared to yours. This should only screw up the space bar! I may be going Michael Jackson style for a while with one white glove!

20. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

got another post going on after the surgery... "I'm Stiil alive..."