2 queens and a queen cell

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ronsin, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ronsin

ronsin Member

went to do weekly inspections on my out apiary yesterday bees presently working on rape seed and really filling boxes fast. when opening last colony <hive made up on brood and half with q exc beneath the 2 supers>. removed supers <filling up nicely>and q ex.going through the top box i came upon a single q,cell capped thought thats a bit strange to find just the one and was starting to get a bit worried that bees had swarmed . anyway i carried on and came across the <marked>queen thinking that bees must be superseeding queen i leftcell intact and removed top box to check for q cells in brood box. went through frames without findingany more q cells however on the last frame i discovered another marked queen:eek: am dumbfounded how this queen got there running short of time and equipment decided to put every thing back together and come back tomorrow with a nuke box however as it happendsomething came up at home and was unable to get away will try again tommorrow when going through all the other hives i found all the queens bar onewhich is next to the one in question i didnt worry as there was a lot of newly hatched brood in there i realise that i may have lost queen when moving boxes around but it seems strange she found her way into an alien hive and the bees in that hive appeared to be unconcerned about her anyone any ideas

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think the excluder is your answer. She likely went in the top entrance and it became a two queen colony. If the excluder had not been there, there would likely have been a battle.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

ronsin
    "it seems strange she found her way into an alien hive and the bees in that hive appeared to be unconcerned about her anyone any ideas"

ronsin, i have had marked queens show up in hives and nucleus hives......not very often. like iddee said, "She likely went in the top entrance and it became a two queen colony. If the excluder had not been there, there would likely have been a battle."
    there must be another beekeeper near you?

4. ronsin

ronsin Member

hive cosists of what i think you guys call brood box and a medium with qx on top box then 2 supers . both queens were below qx , one in the half box one in the brood box also dont have top entrance am hoping to get back to bees today but as usual in uk raaaaining

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

thanks ronsin, yes we call our deeps, the brood box. raining you say?......it's been raining here since the first of june.
    the marked queen came from someone's bees near you. this queen was most likely a virgin, took a mating flight, and found her way to your hive. (once queens mate they don't leave the hive, unless by swarm or death by the bees :grin:). also, would explain why the bees in the hive "would appear to be unconcerned with her' (virgin queen).
    sooner or later though, there will only be one queen. curious on an update from you.

6. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I didn't realise the OSR was so late this year. Have fun.

7. ronsin

ronsin Member

hi barbarian have had bees working on field of rape for last 3 weeks or so.colonies were very weak after winter but since been on rape bees seem to have exploded and are packed with bees and brood hives have 4 supers on at moment and are virtually full wish they would get it capped as am running short of supers now field of rape that bees have been working is now starting to green over but there is another field of rape next to it that just started to flower last week so it looks like being bumper year if weather would pick up

8. ronsin

ronsin Member

just got back from inspecting bees and it looks like you were right riverbee appears that their majestys have have done battle and now theres only one supreme ruler now

9. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Ronsin, Going great guns. 4 supers on at the moment ------ sounds like you will need a strong hive stand and ladders for the rest of the season. Hope the season carries on for you. .:thumbsup:

10. ronsin

ronsin Member

got any rape in sunny manchester barb?

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"just got back from inspecting bees and it looks like you were right riverbee appears that their majestys have have done battle and now theres only one supreme ruler now."

thanks for the update ronsin, just curious about the alien marked queen?

12. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

In my part of Manchester (North), there is no rape. South and West of me ---- yes. I don't do migratory beekeeping.

The local honey crop is July, August and September. Main flora are Rosebay Willow Herb and Himalayan Balsam.

13. ronsin

ronsin Member

good luck with the weather barb