2 queens on the same frame, then there was 1

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Yankee11, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

Inspecting hives today.

Pulled a brood frame and saw a queen. Then about 6 inches away I saw another queen. Yes. not double vision, but 2 queens. one was short and
    stubby and the other long and slender. One of then kept going under the foundation to the other side. i would flip and she would go back. Then they both end up on the back side towards the bottom. I swear I could hear a chirping. then when I flipped the frame again they were fighting. And fought to the death. The short stubby queen won.

Looking for some explanations. Both hatched at same time maybe. Supercede?

I did see larva before I spotted the queens.

And what was I hearing. Screaming?

It was cool to watch anyhow.

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

The sound was pipping. Queens will make that sound when there is more than one in a colony. Mother and daughter or did you recently have the hive requeen so there could have been 2 sisters, or a virgin take a wrong turn and drifted in to the queen rite colony. The young generally always prevails over the old queen in a fight, the old queen has to tear down the cells to have success in staying as queen in a colony that is building cells or swarming.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Here is a link to a video on JPthebeeman's channel with 3 queens piping It is very cool.
    [video=youtube;nKBI1q_RbvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKBI1q_RbvI&list=UUSRygjIHmKEwJ_6LdSvROTQ[/video]
    Thanks JP for all the great educational videos you have posted.

4. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

Now just how cool was that!!

5. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

That is exactly what I heard.

Also getting to see the the fight was cool. Hated to see a queen get killed, but it is what it is.