2013 honey

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Beeboy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

This is my first harvest, (it is on top) my second harvest, (middle) and my third harvest, (bottom). The bottle by itself at the side is last years honey. Interesting I thought.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375309767.672464.jpg

2. Beeboy

Beeboy New Member

Those three that are stacked are from 2013.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

good looking honey:thumbsup:

4. Wolfer

Wolfer New Member

That's the way mine always looks. Darker as the year goes on.

5. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Now customers will want to know what the difference is between the three and which one is better? It's like when someone asks which one of your kids you like better, My answer, It depends on the day.
    Extracting and blending the honeys will give a more consistent product to the customer but if you can sell it as specific honey floral source to can sell it for a higher price.
    They all look good!!!

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

:goodpost:
    What Apis said, although, I've had customers ask me "How do you know where the bees get the ingredients from?"
    The truth is, I don't. I don't control where the bees forage, so I sell my honey as "wildflower" honey.
    I also tell them that the honey gets darker as the year goes on. In the spring, (here in Ohio) you've got dandelion, clover, apple blossom, blackberry blossom, and a multitude of other blooming plants. In the fall-you've got late blooming plants such as goldenrod.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

an Apis snip...
    Now customers will want to know what the difference is between the three and which one is better?

tecumseh...
    'typical' honey here looks more like the jar on the right. it is difficult but not impossible to collect a bit of honey like the two top jars in the stack. at one time I put a lot of effort in trying to capture honey that looked like those two jars only to find out the local customers expected honey to look like the one long jar on the right. as an embarrassing side note when I did have some of that pretty and clear sweet and sticky stuff packed into a jar invariable one or two customer would ask 'how much sugar syrup did you have to add to make the honey that clear'. Actually several of my customers ask for the darkest honey I have... which would be several degrees darker than the jar of honey on the right.

8. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My honey is also the color of the jar on the right, it also is thinner (pours freely) than honey from past years? I thought maybe it had to much moisture in it and checked it, it has been checking between 17.1/2 to 18% moisture content which is border line. The honey i took to the farmers market went flying off the shelve, but of course, i didn't have time to make up any chunk honey (a slow seller) and about every third customer wanted chunk honey.:roll: Told them i would have it next week.:???: Jack
    PS. Good looking honey Beeboy.

9. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Around here the spring honey is dark and the summer honey is very light. The exact opposite of what you have.

10. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Mine varies between the hives. One hive always produces a lighter honey that the other. There a thread on here about it somewhere.

11. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

It all looks like good eating....lol Job well done. Tom