25-year-old honey

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by tedrussell, Aug 5, 2017.

1. tedrussell

tedrussell New Member

I had two hives in the early 90s. In August 1992 I had a severe allergic reaction and had to sell the hives. It was very disappointing as I enjoyed beekeeping very much. I still have a 5-gallon pail of unfiltered honey that I never bottled, as I got busy with other things for the last 25 years. I just opened the pail, and it smells great. Naturally, the residue has all settled to the top. Not sure what I'll find when I remove the residue and see how crystallized the honey is. I plan to try to bottle it, but before I go to the expense of a filter and bucket with honey gate, I want to make sure I'm not doing something foolish. I've heard honey keeps essentially indefinitely, but I don't know if the fact that I never filtered it changes that. Any advice would be welcomed.

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

it should be alright, are you going to heat it to bottle? I have eaten old honey someone I knew got back in the days of government cheese and honey give away, it must have been 30+ years old and that was about 15 years ago, it was real dark, but tasted great and no ill effects...

3. tedrussell

tedrussell New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, Bob. Can't wait to bottle my harvest and share my local honey. Yes, I'll heat it up before bottling. We just had some hot weather (90 in New England is hot), but it's starting to cool down. I was thinking of heating a big pot of water outside and dunking the 5-gal pail in it. Any other suggestions?

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Member

Im sorta new to this beekeeping myself...I like raw honey for the health benefits..I understand it can also be pasteurized for both germs and that helps it from crystallizing for commercial sale..