2nd colony. Superceding?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Mosti, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Mosti

Mosti New Member

My 2nd colony has 6 drawn frames. Yesterday I opened the hive to check it out and found 1 superceding cell being built. Is this normal i.e only 1 cell or do I expect more?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Is there anything inside the cell? A lot of times bees will start to build these as "practice", and they do not amount to anything.
    Supercedure cells are commonly found in small numbers, sometimes only one, usually not more than 4-5.

3. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

What Perry said :goodpost:I see empty queen cups like that all the time in most of my colonies.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Have the bees actually drawn out the cell to close to full size? If they have and not just a queen cell cup, or simply the enlargement of worker cell to form the cup? As the others have said if no egg or larvae inside no matter what means nothing, but I am inclned to believe that if they are drawing out the cell to near full size, I would pay more attention as to what might be going on inside the hive.
    Barry

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

mosti asked:
    "My 2nd colony has 6 drawn frames. Yesterday I opened the hive to check it out and found 1 superceding cell being built. Is this normal i.e only 1 cell or do I expect more? "

mosti, here's a link to a thread about queen cell indentification, and a link to the pdf file "there are queen cells in my hive what should i do?":
    queen cell identification

6. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I havent looked inside the cell :oops::oops: and yes it looked just a simple extended worker cell. IMO the queen has a good laying pattern and its a 2012 queen...not old i.e.

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

You really do need to carefully check to see if eggs have been laid in any of those cells, Bees will make cups, tear them down, and build new ones somewhere else, as stated seems like practice lol. If infact eggs are present and your fairly certian is supercedure and your colony is strong enough you can remove the " old queen " and a few frames of brood, move the old hive off it's current stand, pace the new one in it's place, place the " new " hive on the old hive stand, will get the forager force, The old colony will have emerging brood and make up for the losses. Allow the queen cell to hatch out and now you have another colony if well fed will be just fine.
    Barry

8. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I assume its just practicing as I read in the pdf file referred to earlier.

Now just not to open another thread...when I was pulling out frames to inspect this same hive I did accidentally break open a few honey cells. Is this normal or is the spacing between the frames not correct?

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

totally normal:thumbsup: