2nd hive inspection.. Have some questions need advice

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, May 13, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Ok so I did my second hive inspection and I may need some help. This is what I saw :

Frame 1 , 2, 8 ,9 ,10 both sides empty . Frame 3 Left side empty ,Right side bees starting to draw out comb, Frames 4,5,6,7 were from the original nuc. Queen found on frame 5 right side. Watched queen for over 2min and only laid 1 egg. brood a little spotty , a lot of capped drone. no capped honey and seen quite a few pollen. Queen cells that were seen on first inspection seem to me taken down. but did find 1 capped and 1 open cell.

Here are a few pics of the queen and the brood pattern. What do you think? To me looks spotty.

P5130002.jpg
    P5130003.jpg

Here are some of the queen cells I found. Supersede Cells? 1 open 1 capped. Should I worry ? Should I do anything?

P5130009.jpg

P5130011.jpg
    On this pic you see some pollen. Are those Eggs in the cells around them? or just a glare from the sun?

P5130014.jpg

That frame was 3 frames away from the Queen.

Attached Files:

2. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

[video=youtube_share;1osgs0T6WMY]http://youtu.be/1osgs0T6WMY[/video]

While I did the inspection I watched the queen for about 5 min and vid the last 2 min. I thought a queen should lay an egg aprox every 50 sec.. she laid 1 in around 4 min. The population has not really gone up in the 2 weeks I have hived the 4 frame nuc. should I be worried?

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, you should be worried. She is laying drones in brood cells. I would pinch her immediately and either buy a queen or hope the cell makes a viable queen. The hive is doomed if she stays in there.

4. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

OK THANKS If i pinch her tomorrow .. what would happen to the eggs she is laying now.

5. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Or should I wait till I get a new queen

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Pinch her now. They won't take, and maybe won't make, a new queen until she is gone. I would also report it to the seller. He may help, if he is a reputable person. You have the proof in pics that the nuc was not up to par.

7. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I just Called and Emailed a link to this thread to the seller. I think she will help out ( Hope so) .. I will pinch her in monday after work.

Iddee , just so I dont sound dumb what makes you think that she is a drone laying queen? That I should requeen.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The pics show drone and worker capped brood intermixed. They should be grouped separately in different areas of the frames. Show her the pics and she will see the problem.

Especially #3, the one with the queen cell.

9. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am not seeing what iddee seems to be seeing... my internet connection is a bit slow so the video in post #2 I am not seeing at all.

and then this snip..
    no capped honey and seen quite a few pollen. Queen cells that were seen on first inspection seem to me taken down. but did find 1 capped and 1 open cell.

tecumseh:
    no stores might suggest what is actually wrong with this queen. you seem to suggest in the second sentence here that the queen is vigorous enough to remove replacements. my observation is that the queen (which appears to be cordovan in origin) is not fully related to the bees in the box. adult worker on the face of the frame is about moderate in number (neither weak or super strong) and thereby queen cells at the outer edge of the brood nest could be related to up and down swings in temperature.

if you do have a replacement queen in route??? I would leave the existing queen until I had the new queen in hand.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tec, I never watch videos because I don't have sound on the computer. Take a look at pic #3, the one with the queen cell, in the first post. The solid pattern is half drone and half worker. The queen is fertilizing part time. She needs to go immediately.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

ahh I see what you are seeing now.

I would guess that the queen in the box is quite young and likely (via her coloration) that she is unrelated to the workers in the box and might not even be the queen who deposited the eggs to those now sealed drone and worker cells.

if the nuc was made up not so long ago and the cell in question was at the outside face of one of the outside frames I myself would not even call this unusual for a moderate to low population nuc or one's that seem to have encountered dietary stress (these two factors often being somewhat related). both of these will also directly effect a queen's current egg laying capacities.

in the just how I do things category..... I would think a reputable supplier would provide a replacement for the queen. I myself would employ patience leaving things pretty much as they are until I had the replacement queen in hand. In the meantime if I thought the nuc was light on stores I would get some feed into the unit while I still had adult population to get that done.

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I hope you folks don't mind my 2 cents. :smile:
    Something that I see that has me wondering.......in the very first picture (and some subsequent) I see capped worker cells that are sunken. While not perforated (which would really have me worried) any time I see sunken caps I would be checking the pupae underneath those caps.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tec, you may be right if the brood is not from this queen. I just took it for granted that the brood was hers.

Perry, many times drone larva will die in worker cells and the caps will sink. I do agree that they need to be checked, tho.

15. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks all for all the advice. Just so everyone has the full story. It was a 4 frame Nuc in a 10 frame deep. Hived 2 weeks ago. Has been fed 1:1 eith honey bee heath via hive top feeder from day one. VERY CLAM temperment.

This pic is from my first inspection last week. Showing the queen cell wich I say was taken down ( I didnt see it this time)
    P5060012.jpg

I did see pollen coming in and they are now taking the feed just not too much maybe 14 gal in a week.

The queen cells on on the outside facing of frame #7

16. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Should I scratch some of them? What would I be looking for?

BTW as far as the Vid.. its just the queen walking around for 90 sec then laying an egg. observed her for about min total prior to her laying an egg

17. bwwertz

bwwertz New Member

Medic, looks to me you have an extremely long queen cell - above the picture you wrote ".... was taken down. (I didn't....)" If you follow the "N" in the word "down" straight down the picture - you should be able to spot it. Also you'll see a queen cup to the left of it. Perhaps not something the bees like - but my mentor taught me to VERY softly blow on the bees - and they'll move around so you can get a better look at things when you need to.

They're taking FOURTEEN gallons in a WEEK? Of 1:1 syrup?

18. Omie

Omie New Member

Fourteen gallons, in a week.....???

19. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

First it was a typo ... 1/4 Gal... of feed a week. sorry and that pic was from the first inspection last week. and I did not see it this inspection

20. Omie

Omie New Member

Last year I had a nice new queen cell on a frame in a nuc, and the day after she emerged the bees had completely removed the empty queen cell- you'd never know it had been there! That new queen turned out just great.