2nd time in the hives

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by L00ker123, Jul 8, 2011.

1. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

I have 2 hives that I inspected today. this is my first season so I am looking for some help.

Hive one: the top box racks were mostly filled out with foundation on both sides. the inner frames had some capped and uncapped honey along with a few brood cells. the bottom box was pretty much filled with the same. I saw larvae but no eggs. I am not quite sure what I was looking for it was also a partly cloudy day. I saw ants crwling into this box from the top. the bees were attacking them but how do you stop them from going in? I saw no malformed cells or signs of other infestations. Is this box performing well and healthy?

Hive two: the upper box racks were filled with honey both capped and uncapped. the inner boxes have some brrod cells but it appears most of it is honey. I did see some larvae int he upper box but again not sure about eggs. The bottom box looked pretty good the only concern I had was the outer frames had foundation but not much else. this worries me because of the state of the uppper box frames. Is this normal behavior and should I add a super to this hive?

I appreciate any help you can give and if anyone lives in Harnett county NC or close by, I would appreciate a hand. either your place or mine. thanks
    L00ker123

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like both hives are doing well. The reason you are seeing comb up the middle of both boxes is the second box was added just a tad soon, no worries though. Next time you go into them just rotate the outer frames in toward the middle to make them start start drawing comb.

As far as finding the eggs, hold the frame up and with the sun at your back, turn the cells so that the sun will shine to the bottom of the cells. Eggs are hard to see through a veil (some are easier than others), but they look like a tiny grain of rice standing on its end in the bottom middle of the cell.

There are several on here from NC, just not sure if they are in you neck of the woods.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hi, looker. Sounds like your hives are doing well. As G3said, work any undrawn frames inward to get them drawn. if all frames are drawn in the second hive and covered with bees, yes, add a box. Mama beek and family are back from their trip. Give them a call.

4. L00ker123

L00ker123 New Member

cool, thanks for the info. I will swap the frames out like you folks said. I have talked to mama beek a couple of times. I am trying to arrange to let one or two of her experts come visit me.