3 months inside a beehive, fast motion vidoe

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by 100 TD, Jul 23, 2011.

1. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that was some great video, looks like they might have swarmed close to the end.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

It didn't appear as though the sides were slanted. Is that true? Pretty interesting.

There seemed to be a source of light from above. Or was the only light from the camera?

This is the sort of thing that should be on club websites.

Is there a Video and Pictures section in beekeepingforums.com? It would be nice to catalog things such as this in a section that just catalogs videos and other illustrations w/out Posts of commentary. Perhaps.

4. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

If you look in the first frames of the video you will see the TBH has sloping sides, the topbars are also chamfered longitudinally as well as horizontally to allow for the sloping sides. The camera view angle may distort this somewhat.

I suspect it was supplied when the camera was turned on for a short time each day, I doubt it was left on all the time.

I personally think commentary to my posts, or what available resources I post in them, MAYBE (a big maybe), a valuable resource to others (I doubt it though for most of my posts), but isolating them so no one can comment on them would be highly unproductive for all concerned.
    I'm right up front in saying I'm not a BEEK, and I don't have bees yet, however I suppose you could call me an up and coming BEEK, as I have some hardware built and am keen to get some bees soon. I know reading books and forums counts ZILCH on years of experience, but that's all I have at the moment.
    You have your years of experience and vast knowledge (wish I was there), but I don't think you should stop a discussion of a subject because you want to.
    However, if you want to catalog the video information, or any other, I, or others, bring to the forum, I think it would be a good idea to make a link it to the discussion thread, (instead of the video) so that anybody who uses the search function gets the relevant info in it's context, in a discussion, that can be continually added to and discussed.
    I feel there is no point posting a video that has no comments from the gallery. The object of the forum is to get forum members commenting and participating in discussion on the current thread/topic. The mere point of one posting some info, whether video, pics, or text, relies on others digesting that info and posting their response so they may convey positive or negative comments relating to the topic or just have an all round discussion on it, so we can all learn and make our own judgments on the information given.
    My 2 cents worth, yes I know it probably is only worth .0002 in the scheme of things.
    I'm new here, be nice, but I've got broad shoulders so I am happy to receive any honest feedback you care to give. In fact, I appreciate any honest feedback, so feel free to cut me down in flames!
    I suppose I should add, the links to the video info will at some point disappear I expect, can this board host valuable info like this?

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

Video is Awesome, as for other comments about your newness

This is by far the "nicest " website i belong to, all here have been wonderful and i have not seen any animosity at all, except towards Iddee :D (which is in jest)

The amount of help here has been amazing.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

100TD I think sqkcrk was just wanting it put into a library of videos so that they can be referenced back to for others to look at without having to go through a long thread. Your idea of linking back to the thread is also a valued one too!!

7. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

This was not my intent at all. I'm sorry if my comments or questions seemed demeaning or disrepectful. Not my intent either. Just asking about things that weren't apparent to me from a cpl of viewings.

I love these sorts of videos. They come up on you-tube every now and then. where they can be watched. They illustrate things that are not often seen by anyone, even beekeepers.

This has been posted in the right place. Right where it can be discussed. But, what if I just want to page thru a list of videos stored on this Forum, just to see bees in action. Like the waggledance video I saw yersterday in Tom Seeley's lecture on Honeybee Democracy.? That's all. I am not trying to restrict or control anything. Just an idea of cataloging for easy access in the future. After I forget where this Thread is and its' name.

I learn little lessons from Newbees all the time. One is to try to be more humble. I try.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Called for and required if we like him at all. ;)

It's kinda like when guys punch each other in the arm. do guys still do that? We only tease the ones we love. lol

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, go ahead. Beat, trample, tromp on all you want. It just means someone else is getting a break. :p :p :wave: :D

PS. Just don't whine when it comes back. :Dancing:

10. 100 TD

100 TD New Member

I thought what I posted was Ok, maybe the honey flow was too strong, I'd better put a cap on it.

Guys, do what ever you want, you know what's best for the forum in the real scheme of things.
    I do think it would be good if the forum could host good quality informational videos like this one, because like many pics and videos which are externally referenced, they disappear with time. It would also be good if the hosted video had a link available to a discussion topic that one could follow if they wanted.
    Perhaps the forum could also host a series of information pictures on different topics, say.......Egg laying, Queen & workers; Larvae, Day by Day, SHB & Wax moth; Brood patterns, workers and drones; Queen cells, Emergency, supercedure & swarm; Diseases.........etc., etc.?
    Have a good day!
    (There's another good video on "Heater Bees" in the General Beekeeping section under the "Thermal images of hive" thread)

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

no problem with your post at all.

maybe we just read it wrong, it happens.

I have been wanting to make a library of pics and videos of thing in the hive to reference back to, not really a thread but just a locked sticky with categorized pics like you are saying.

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I recall seeing a set of videos from Germany. I think they were on another Forum of who I won't mention by name lest someone sensitive has an attack. :) These videos had skeps being worked and hive manipuilation w/ styrofoam type hive bodies and other stuff. I wish I could find them again. Especially if I could get the commentery translated.

13. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Love the video. A picture is worth a thousand words and its a shame they get lost over time. I to think a file or sticky (perhaps in B Keeping 101) would be of great help, such as what an egg looks like/multiple eggs in a cell, queen cell and other happenings of the hive both good and bad. Maybe even still pics attached to the glossary. jim