3# Package Bees Choice of Queens

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by larry tate, Feb 7, 2012.

1. larry tate

larry tate New Member

3# package bees with Italian, Waynes, or Carni Queens. $90 ea. They should be available 3rd week of April. Will have some Ga packages available April 4th and May 1st. Call Tates Apiaries in NC 336 788 4554

2. Coast back

Coast back New Member

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wayne Rich, of Sophia, NC began beekeeping sometime in the 1960's as a hobby to have honey for his family and pollinate the family farm. He only knew what the older local beeks taught him and what he learned from experience. He never medicated a hive in any way. He had the normal die off and the normal swarm catches that were common in those days. By 1987, he had approx. twenty five hives. When the mites showed up he lost all but one hive. That hive survived and begin casting swarms. Some lived, some died. In 2001, Wayne had 5 strong hives. He gave me a swarm from one of them that year. I placed that colony in a yard by itself and began to catch swarms, make splits, use swarm cells to start nucs, and use eggs and larva from that hive to bait trap outs. Of all the colonies I have started from that hive, and it has been many, none have ever been reported to have died from mites. None, as far as I know, have ever been treated. When I let someone have one, I asked to have them marked and traced, not treated, and report back if any ever died from mites. None have ever reported to me that they died from mites.

Wayne passed away Dec. 26th, 2008. Since that time, I have promoted these bees as "Wayne's bees". In 2010, Larry Tate, of Tate's Apiaries accepted a colony of Wayne's bees and began to graft from them. He is also going treatment free with them. So far, he is happy with their production, temperament, and longevity. He has not had any die from mites.

Larry Tate is now selling Wayne's bees queens.

4. Marbees

Marbees Member

WOW!!! What a story, wish I could have some of those queens.

5. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I want a package with a Wayne queen!

6. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We hope to have some this season. wyvern Call sometime at your convience in the next week or two. Thanks to all especially Wally for the bees

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Larry, how about giving us an update on queen availability. I'm getting inquiries on Wayne's queens.

8. wyvern

wyvern New Member

I am curious about the packages also. are they on schedule?

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Are the packages for pickup only?

10. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Sorry for the lack of response to the post. We will be pulling some Waynes Queens as soon as temp. gets up today. We are filling orders as they were taken in order. Next week we will start shaking local NC bees for packages and be filling them in order as recieved. We do ship US postal service priority mail which is around $18. Wish we were 30 yrs younger!! LOL

11. Tyro

Tyro Member

Just received a package from Larry Tate. Package traveled from NC to ND (across more than half of the country). Bees are in great shape! It is also the heaviest package that I have ever received. The bees are top to bottom across more than one half of the box and extend 2 inches down the far side. I am also unable to see any part of the feeder can (normally, I can see at least the far bottom corner of the can).

Fantastic package and 'great job' goes out to Larry, his wife and his operation.

Thank you much Larry!

Mike

12. larry tate

larry tate New Member

We have some Waynes queens now.

13. Cape Fear Bees

Cape Fear Bees New Member

cool story. Should take a picture of the mother

14. rail

rail New Member

I started two hives from Larry's bees this year, 3# package and a medium nucleus. Very pleased!