3 packages arrives late today will install tomorrow morning

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Apr 4, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Was sorta bummed but they were mailed from Texas Monday evening, didn't expect them till thursday. Early thursday I will install them for now have sprayed them down with sugar water and just keeping them quiet. Very few dead bees and it seems I gathered a few strays frpom somewhere a few light colored bees were taking a interest in tha packages or the sugar water lol.
    Barry

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

good deal glad to hear you got them in keep us posted

3. jim314

jim314 New Member

Let us know how the install goes :)

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

finished installing the girls to new house

100_0063.jpg 100_0064.jpg 100_0065.jpg 100_0066.jpg 100_0068.jpg 100_0067.jpg

5. oblib

oblib New Member

So did you shake them out onto the towels in front of the hive or just layed the cages over and let them walk out?

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

shook about half inside the hive over the queen cage, rest on the towel trying to not get many dead bees inside the hive--alittle less work for the house keeping bees, though there will always be a few dead bees that fall inside.
    Barry

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looking good, what are you starting them on wax, plastic or nothing?

8. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looks like all went well:thumbsup:

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

put down 10m plastic to keep the weeds down, and make a barrier of sorts against ants. and yeah all went according to plan, for once lol:thumbsup:

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like the black plastic idea, I use old black rubber roofing that was a freebie for hauling it off.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

took a quick peek in the hives to see is queens were released, they were, small amount of comb starting to be drawn, as expected, what I did not expect is when I was closing up the second hive, saw a blue dot on the black plastic I am setting on the ground to keep weeds and grass down around the hives. The blue dot was on the back of the Queen she evidently dove off a frame and I failed to notice. I scooped her up and returned her to the top bars of the frames immediately she was checked out by a few dozen workers and then everything resumed as normal as she slid down between the frames--close one--buckfast bees tend to be dark anyway without the blue dot she would have been most difficult to spot.:shock:

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

The blue dot
    so these are not marked with the yearly color (yellow this year I think)?

sounds like the plastic was useful for other reasons besides keeping down the weeds? it is always a good idea to closely inspect the bottom side of the lid when these are first removed.

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Yeah all the queens were with blue dot, last years queen had a yellow dot, since this my first season using marked queens, I never paid attention to color code for the year.
    But for sure I am glad I had them clipped and marked lol the potential for disaster was certainly there.
    Barry

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think Tec may be right on this year's color.

Queen-ID-Colors1.gif

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

that would make the queen a 2010 model, he should have at LEAST a 2011 model!!

17. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

interesting--in Oct of 2011 was sent a queen with yellow dot, this year 3 queens/ package blue dots hmmm!
    Barry

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Sounds like somebody is off on the color and year thing.

19. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

all the packages and queens I have ever gotten, always had a small contingent of workers say 5 0r 6 to feed the queen, these didn't queen was alone being fed from the bees in the package I assume. heard that was going to be the thing of the future faster acclimation to the bees and queen. interesting.
    Barry

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am assuming these packages were from RWeaver???? They (unlike BWeaver) have multiple choices in queens so their paint color scheme might be to designate the kind of queen.

I suspect (don't really know, speculating for certain) that some of my more hygienic bees don't tolerate the dots for long... some colors (red for example) they seem to find greatly displeasing. I have notice one or two example where within less than a week they had remove all except for the very outside edges of the dot.