31 and done! (I hate painting)

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by PerryBee, Mar 24, 2012.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

[​IMG]

Just have to stencil on my keep registration number and they're good to go! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did you do all o that today?

Lot of work and looks really good!

Would look better sitting on the back of that boom truck with your wife driving it!:lol:

3. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

ROFL I thought I had it bad with painting one deep and one medium! And I had my Dad helping! :D

2012-03-24_12-10-24_923.jpg

Yours look great Perry! :thumbsup:

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I still have 20 mediums and 6 deeps to paint. Every weekend (the only time I'm home) it's either raining or threatening to rain.

5. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

"I hate painting" ditto here. Can't stand it.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I hate painting too, usually get my daughter to do it.

Slowmodem just enjoy the time of a father/son project.......can't be beat, sure do miss mine!

James you got a little painter to help you out also :lol:

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Wow! Nice work PerryBee!

I have lots of assembling and painting to do also!

Are those 8's and 10's or are they just staggered?

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Thanks for the compliments. :oops:

Eddy - Just staggered so they don't stick together too badly.
    Greg - Wish your Dad was near :wink: But for heavens sakes man, give him a brush will you, what's that little thing he's holding? The only way I would ever have a brush that small is if I somehow convinced my son to help paint and I wanted to keep him busy for a few.................days!
    G3 - My wife sitting behind the wheel of that truck, all loaded up, ready to go work the bees? :lol: Not in a million years my friend, she's terrified of bees! :lol:

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I hate painting too, been doing it the past two days, hives, supers, lids, and the outside edges on the bottomboards. Hey, Perry we have the same taste in color, brood, light green, supers, light brown. My comb honey supers are dark green, helps to hide them in the woods. Jack

10. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Wish I had something to paint..lol

11. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Wow Perry and I thought I did so good today, by getting the first coat of paint on my 5 nucs after acupuncture while the the boss was getting her hair done. As long as she doesn't see your post I'm gold, that I was working all day.

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

Of all things painting has to be one I disklike most, ask my wife, 2 years now she has been waiting on me to paint the den, will have to this summer when it is to hot to do anything outside. So painting my hive when I got them together was no fun. Just finish them the other day.

kebee

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Nice job Perry:thumbsup:, however I switched to stain. Coat of primer and two coats of paint became too much for me.
    In last 10 months assembled, branded and stained 100 deeps.
    Making hive stands and sbb are my favourite, use cedar, so no painting/staining.:wink:

14. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Western Red or Eastern White Cedar Marbees?
    Western Red would last forever but I can't even begin to imagine what it would cost! :shock:
    You know, if I had to do it over again (and had the space) I would have made a 100 of them. The cost for the material wasn't bad at all and the time it took to run 30 could have just as easily run 100 (set-up is half the time). Could probably sell a bunch to folks that don't have the gear to make 'em and end up paying all my own costs off.
    (They would have be sold unpainted of course) :wink: :lol:

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

You should do that. You could call them PerryBee Palaces. :D

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

Eastern white Perry, that's what we have here, and it's really afordable. 99 cents/bf
    You right, no big difference between running 30 or 100, once you set up machinery, just keep flying:grin:
    Maybe this is what you gonna do next year, and get your boxes for free:thumbsup:

17. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I feel for you; painting can be a drag. I started stacking my boxes up and using a roller; that eases the pain. I hate having to wait between coats though; when I start something- I want to just go ahead and finish it. By far, SBBs are still the worst for me though.

-Dan

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you have a bunch of them to do stack them up and put a small piece of wood in between each box (think of something like 1/4" thick x 1" long) at the corners and then spray them. With the little spacers in between the boxes some paint will get on the inside edges but not much will get on the inside of the boxes plus they will not stick together.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I used to do them individually but that just had to stop!
    Now I stack 'em up proper like (don't even bother with little sticks anymore) Lay the brush to the handholds and any open grain corners and then either get a big brush or better yet, a roller. Once they're painted I stagger them so they don't glue together.
    I also always used to do the top and bottom edges (a time consuming endeavor to say the least), but I haven't done it with these (yet) I am not convinced it does much to help preserve the edges. I have had painted edges go away quickly if the boxes aren't fitting together snugly as well. The bees tend to propolize them quickly enough so I am undecided on this.

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

PerryBee, you missed a spot...

:lol: