3rd great dane and a unusual problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by riverrat, Jan 10, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

We just took in a 3rd great dane that came from a good breeder in nebraska. She is a great dog well bred and trained you go bang she drops dead you say i love you she will growl i love you back. she will give you high 5 and high 10 sets lays stays and is house broke. has beautiful confirmation. Now for the problem every time she come into the shop she craps on the concrete floor I couldnt figure it out a friend said I bet she was kept in a concrete dog run. nope that isnt it. Her previous owners had kept her in a chainlink kennel down in the basement for long periods of time. The guy loved the dog and taught her all her tricks the woman didnt like the dog so go figure who abused her when he was gone the guy worked long hours. Im not sure how i can break her of this she is 3 years old

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There's something about the smell of a shop. My dog and the building owner's dog, both over 5 years old, would go in my shop every time they went in it. Both had been house trained since pups. I don't know what it is, but I never found the solution.

3. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

If that is the worst problem, suffer through it. It only takes a few seconds to scrape up crap and spray the area off.

4. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Not an expert, just a thought. How about you start feeding the dog in the shop? Maybe right in the spot where she likes to doody. This may not work because the previous owner's wife probably didn't let the dog out to feed it either. At least the dog goes in the "man area" so the wife won't get too upset.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

LOL
    My dog does the same thing when we go into my buddies wood shop. When I first got her she let loose in the post office once and once in the pet food store but never since (3 yrs). Both places said it wasn't the first time a dog had done that so maybe there is just a lingering scent thing going on. Grey hounds are pretty unsavy when you get them, never seen inside of a house, won't do stairs without extensive training, look at every other breed of dog like "what the *** is that and get it away from me.

6. srvfantexasflood

Now I have to laugh PerryBee. How true of greyhounds. We adopted one from the Woodlands race track. That poor dog was afraid of it's own shadow. But it never had a single accident in the house, never climbed on furniture, never begged. He was beautiful. He was also a big show off. He would race around the back yard running loops around our old dog or prance like a thoroughbred when we walked him. We had to put him to sleep because he developed bone cancer. You're right, they think any other breed of dog is a wanna be or something. The first day he came home, he found a full length mirror and thought it was another greyhound.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

srvfantexasflood:
    Funny ain't it, she never had an accident in our house either, but she has a thing for my buddies shop. When we got her I thought it would take a lot of work but they really are one of the easiest dogs to look after. I wonder about the bone cancer thing because it seems that I hear that quite a bit from other grey owners. Sad.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

when Mzzz tecumseh returns I will ask her about your problem. she is quite talented when it comes to K9's (wild or not so wild) behavior.

likely the dog was reared in a crate and concrete was what it found to be natural (outside it's confinement) to do it's business. we had somewhat the same problem (different variety of consequence and dog) in that the breeder reared the pups in a crate (now quite a common way or rearing dogs) and had a pile of pine shavings outside the crate for the pups to do their business. so initially we had to provide a box of shaving just outside the back door as we house trained our current pooch.

9. srvfantexasflood

PerryBee, yeah it seems to be prevalent in greyhounds. It grew so fast. The most work with our greyhound took place as we were bringing him home and getting him adjusted to home life. He was too scared to go outside to the backyard to relieve himself. He held it for about 12 hours and then I finally got him out. Steps didn't bother him too much. He hated slippery surfaces.