3rd Swarm in Two Weeks!

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 4, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I took an extra day off to get my garden planted today since the Almanac is indicating tomorrow is the best day for above ground plants but rain coming. I received a swarm call from a very bizarre person indicating he wanted to save the world and asked if I was a beekeeper. Long story short, he was very bizarre but hey, he tipped me off to a swarm, ha! Threw my equipment in the back of the car and off I went. The tree they were hanging on at head level had been trimmed last week. I had just finished making one of those plywood nuc boxes yesterday and wondered what I would do with it. Well, I put it to work today. I had to make a feeder lid and vent super real quick for it. I had hoped to have my shipment from Kelleys by now but the bees will have to make due in the nuc box for now. Kelleys said they received over 200 orders Monday and were going crazy down there. Anyway, I learned from my mistake of brushing last week. I held the box up and below the swarm and then placed a section of cardboard behind the swarm from the bottom up, slowly...kinda like when I filet a fish. It worked pretty much better with less anger from the bees. I am noticing that my attention to having pretty and perfect hive equipment is falling to the way side as things speed up. My workshop is a mess...wood chips, foundation papers all over the place, stacked supers and hive bodies, whew! The bee yard is growing fast!
    mms_picture.jpg mms_picture (1).jpg mms_picture (2).jpg mms_picture (3).jpg mms_picture (4).jpg mms_picture (5).jpg

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Well done and good for you, Yep the ladies will keep you stepping double time. Jim

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks! By the way, I planned on transferring this swarm from the nuc box to a full deep when my supplies arrive. Is it bad to do this since they will have been it for 4-5 days and used to it by the the time I'm ready? Should I just leave them in there and fill up my full deep with another swarm in the future? Opinions?

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would leave them in the nuc for 7 days and check for larva. If needed, check again a few days later. Move them after finding larva.

5. Zulu

Zulu Member

I hear you, my shop is almost upside down with the mess , so bad I took the day off to brew instead and cleaned up the brewery , tomorrow the woodshop.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Thanks Iddeel...I had no clue with these nuc boxes...very new to me at this point.
    Zulu, I have seen reference to brewery a couple times from ya...home brew or small micro operation? I love micro beers....I am a big dark, stout beer guy...Guinness is my favorite commercial beer...

7. Zulu

Zulu Member

Home brewer with serious addiction..... as an engineer I tend to overdo things, have a small PLC driving my brew ops in Winter and people ask why....... simple really.... because I CAN :lol:... summer not really needed to keep brew temps so accurate. Fermentation is just simple temp controller.

Look down on my blog in 2009 ....

http://zenzele-brewery.blogspot.com/2009/12/brewery-details.html

8. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Nice! I am impressed! All of the electronics, tanks and hoses look like something out of a Frankenstein movie....