3rd trap out started

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Zookeep, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

this 1s up a bit in a banyan tree, 20 feet or so, very docile hive.

Attached Files:

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

They must have been waiting for you to bring them down from that scary height. :rolling:

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That is one weird looking tree! :shock: Well done! :thumbsup:

4. melrose

melrose New Member

I notice you're using what looks like window screen material. Have you had any negative experiences using that as opposed to using #8 hardware cloth?

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

window screens the best for blocking holes and such, easy to stuff anyplace you need it and they cant eat it.

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I use window screen cuz its cheaper and easy to find, the only con I have with it is it can collect trash on the inside(but not much). The pros are 1. cheap 2.easy to form fit to tree bark or a rough surface. JUST MAKE SURE its metal screen and not plastic or vinyl as they are to soft and may collapse. Jim

7. blueblood

blueblood New Member

My thinking exactly Perry.....what a crazy mess of a tree...very cool looking though...Good luck with your trap!

8. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

get a call from the owner of the tree today, theres a clump of about 300 bees at the base of the tree, crap I know what it is and run up there and sure enough theres the clipped queen from the nuc that I put in the big box up in the tree, she must have tried to fly when I put the frames in the box and didnt see her leave when I set up the trap out, now I know she has been gone from the hive too long but its a good thing I had sugar water with me, I soaked everything with it, queen in a clip with maybe 30 workers all over it soaked in sugar, set it on top of the frames up in the tree so see how it would go, well they killed 10 of the workers right off the bat, great Im screwed pulled the clip out before I ended up with a dead queen, brushed off most of the workers and this time I pulled a frame soaked it put it flat on top of the box and soaked the clip again and set it down, they cleaned the clip and didnt go after the queen hard this time so watched for a bit, lifted the clip again and sprayed the queen and the frame 1 more time and then dropped the queen out of the clip onto the frame, 10 workers stated cleaning her right away and she just sat there ( Im praying) then she started to walk after about 5 min with a group following her, all is well, closed it up and came home:dance:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Wheeeeew. Quick thinking after the call. :thumbsup:

10. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

So THAT's how you get them to move into the trap!

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well went up and took a look, cones empty and looked into the cavity in the tree and no bees, trap-outs done, took the box back to the yard and took a look around in it, thats not the queen with the clipped wings I saved and put back in the box, this 1 has wings and is orange to almost black at the tip, I quess the queen in the tree came out and moved into the box and killed the other 1, 1st time I have ever gotten the queen in a trap-out:grin:

Attached Files:

12. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

nice work, nothing gives confidence like success.
    Barry