3yo son terrified of bees

Discussion in 'Everything Kids' started by chelesirois, Apr 18, 2010.

1. chelesirois

chelesirois New Member

Hi - my 3yo DS is terrified of bees. If he goes outside, he will quickly demand to go back in if he hears any sort of buzzing. I've talked to him & reassured him. He loves honey, so we've taken the "we need bees for honey" approach. He's been to see them safely behind glass. We've read books. He wants his sister to get stung so they will die and be gone.

I was thinking for his 4th bday of buying him a hat and veil, hoping to empower him a bit. I cannot seem to find any kid size. I found a suit, but it's about $70, more than I want to spend when I don't think he'll use it.

Any suggestions as to where to buy a hat & veil for an almost 4yo with a big head? Or any other suggestions?

Btw, we do not know if he is allergic, but he is allergic or intolerant to lots of food and I am a bit concerned if he gets stung, we will just confirm his fears!

Thanks!
    Michele

2. Charles

Charles New Member

Since it's more to settle his mind than functional it seems like you could get some veil material from a fabric store and sew it onto a wide brimmed hat. It'll look like the real thing and hopefully make him feel better.

My son reacted the same way when he was that age but it was just a phase and he got over it in no time :)

3. chelesirois

chelesirois New Member

Thank you, Charles! I appreciate both the idea, and the encouragement!!

Michele

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree with Charles. 3 year olds seem to have phobias that they soon outgrow. My grandson developed a fear of me at age 3. He would begin screaming if I walked in the same room. He got out of it before he was 5. I have seen a number of instances similar.

5. chelesirois

chelesirois New Member

Oh, that is both sad and funny at the same time! Ok, that is great...I needed to hear that. Come to think of it, I was freaked out about bees around that age too. And my uncle :) And, yes, both fears went away. Thanks for the support and optimism!

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Iddee... were you wearing a shirt?!? :lol:

Just my 2 cents worth... I think you need to be careful not to push him toward the bees until he is ready. The veil is a good idea, but I (personally) would not force him to wear it if he was scared. The bees will sense his fear and butt into the veil, and make it worse. When you go out to visit them, make sure you come back and (in casual conversation) express how much fun you had and what interesting things they were doing. He may get curious... Maybe even bring some accidentally pulled out drone larvae back to the house for him to see. Don't all boys love gross wormy things?

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

The fear is not such a bad thing... my 3yo has absolutely no fear of them and has run right up to the hive and pounded on it, guard bees came out when he did this of course, but they only looked at him, then came after me! He's been stung before though, so he knows what they can do... and more importantly I know what they are capable of doing so I try to keep him from playing near the hives now or put him in his bee suit.

8. chelesirois

chelesirois New Member

Thanks for the alternative viewpoint! That helps. So sorry about your son's fearlessness. Scary!

We never found a suitable outfit, but my now 4yo seems to have outgrown his fear a bit. Thank goodness we can go outside this summer. Not really sure what it took except repeat performances of what we were doing and reassurance.

Thanks!
    Michele

9. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

His fear is natural. You need to figure out a way to make an encounter w/ bees a nice experience.

I have noticed that when a bee is on a dandelion flower, if you try to touch it it will fly away.

There are bee books for kids. There has to be. There sure aught to be. Try looking for them.

Best of luck. And if he doesn't come around, don't sweat it too much.

10. Hobie

Hobie New Member

There's some good advice here. My opinion is that it is probably best not to push him. If you have a nature center with an observation hive nearby, it might be a good way to let him watch and still feel safe, but I wouldn't make a trip just for that reason.

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Definitely don't push him. It isn't worth it.

12. Ducks®™

Ducks®™ New Member

Bless his heart.. gotta love children.,[​IMG]

13. alysonshaw

alysonshaw New Member

Good thing my child is not but I am terrified of him being too involved. He might be bitten if he plays around with the bees.

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I have seen many people, young an old alike, "cured" of their exaggerated fears of bees when I showed them how you can "pet" a bee while it is visiting flowers. When they see that the bees are interested in the flower and not you, they tend to calm down about it all and realize that bees aren't so dangerous after all.
    You could "innocently" go with your son to look at some pretty flowers, "by accident" see a bee visiting one, and let him watch you as you put your finger on the bee---which will simply fly away, trying to avoid you.

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have had the complete reverse happen. My son was absolutely fearless around bees until an unfortunate incident when he was around 7. He decided to not help Dad with the bees that day so did not put on his suit. I didn't notice that he had walked right up behind me when I had a hive open on a really hot day and the bees were not happy! What ensued was not a particularly pleasant experience, rather traumatic for the both of us. He refuses to come out to the bees with me that last couple of years, suit or not!
    He has dug his heels in and won't even entertain the thought, even with an incentive (help me and it's worth a few $ for ya)

:sad::cry:

16. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

My pastor's granddaughter was the same with me...only thing is that she could see me across the street and start squalling...???? Then suddenly one day...a smile cracked across her face. Go figure...<sigh> Give it time. :)

Ed

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

My heart really goes out for you Perry. :sad: I can imagine your disappointment. Keep your spirits up--he might just surprise you yet with a turnaround.:wink:

18. Omie

Omie New Member

You could maybe show him how you can hold a drone in your hand without fear because they have no stinger...? That might help a little.

19. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I was terrified of bees until I became a beekeeper (actually, for a while after that even)... so I say don't worry about it, when they're ready to come around, they will.