4 days without feeding the Bees? will they be okay?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by sunrock, Jul 26, 2014.

1. sunrock

sunrock New Member

I just this hive a little over 2 weeks ago and they were eating about 3 quarts per day...went down to two....one one
    but I need to leave for 4 days and no around here to feed them daily....will they survive?

Northern CA where the drought is tough but thee are some things in bloom......
    Thanks

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

they should be fine with what you have given them already, and are the bees flying in and out alot? carrying in pollen? if yes then everything is fine.

3. sunrock

sunrock New Member

they are flying in and out....not sure if they have pollen.
    thanks

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

you should see the pollen on their pollen baskets on their back legs when entering the hive. they should have a few frames with stored honey or sugar water in the hive by now to last them tor a few days.

5. sunrock

sunrock New Member

I ddi see pollen on the back legs this morning when watching the hive. Also came up with an idea for having more feeders (?)
    I put 2 more on top (propped with small 2x4s to elevate) with a cookie sheet underneath. Watching to see how long this will last.....
    Am I going to spoil them if fed too much?????

6. camero7

camero7 Member

be careful not to start robbing, especially since you have a drought.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I would not open feed near a weak hive this time of year

8. sunrock

sunrock New Member

Is that open feeding?
    I got a little tried having to go everyday and feed....this way I can feed every five days or so.
    What is robbing? is that taking the honey? I would not even think of doing that for some time.
    Hope this winter brings many inches of rain!

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Robing is when the bees get worked up and because there is no nectar or very little the bees from stronger colonies will attack and rob the honey nectar and stored syrup from weaker hives. once it gets started more than one hive as well as wasps will gang up on a weaker colony. once the first colony is robed out they will move on to the next weakest or poorly protected colony Robing can be done by yellow jackets and wasps with out honey bees from other colonies joining in. Provide entrances that the bee population in the hive can manage and guard.