4 way split

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jun 4, 2010.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have had a hive that i have not done anything to but collect honey off of for 4 years the only feed they recieved was feed when they was first hived as a swarm havent been into the bottom brood box in 3 years havent had any reason to and havent pulled a frame in 2 years out of the top box good producers very few mites. good survivor bees i got from a swarm i purposely did not get into the hive to see how this worked out i just watched the front of the hive to see what the bees were doing and seeing if i can see any porblems after seeing how the bees have done, i got a wild hair today and split it into 4 nucs with each nuc getting 2 frames of brood 1 frame of eggs and 2 frames of honey each. didnt see the queen since it was such a strong hive so one of the 4 nucs got the queen im sure. im letting them raise there own queen this is the first time i have attempted a 4 way split i positioned the nucs in a semi circle where the front of the nucs are about where the entrance of the 10 frame hive was my thinking is the bees will find there way into the different nucs than if one is stronger i will swap it out with the weakest. got feeders on all 4 nucs anyone want to bet on what the odds of all 4 hives being queen right with a laying queen in 3 weeks. then i will 5 on 5 them until they are strong then put in 10 frame equipment hope to have them in double deeps and ready to winter by this fall

2. Monie

Monie New Member

WOW! Good luck! That's a great way to get ready for next year's honey crop!

3. rast

rast New Member

Sounds like a good plan. I hope you get good drones. Maybe a little southern inbreeding :D .