Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Capturing these has not gotten old yet...this fourth one has brought my total colonies to 6. It's probably just as much fun keeping them as catching them for me. I waited all night to get this one. Up at 6am to get them risking life and limb being away from the house on mother's day...:wink:...I made it back in time, whew! I did not want to cut this guy's tree limb, so I shook them. The limb rose three feet back to its original location without the bees on it! Enjoy the pics...
0513120621a.jpg 0513120636.jpg 0513120820.jpg 0513120831.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Way to go blue.Last year I only had 10-20 frames of drawn comb so every time I caught a swarm I put a one gal. frame feeder in and kept filling them.I used migrantory lids so I just slid them open enough to see the feeders and filled them.We had terrible wet weather but they all drew out two deeps in time for black berries in July.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Congarts Dave. Nice swarm,Great pics. Looks like you running short on mulch for under your hives, LOL
I look at it this way, A package is about $100. with shipping or gas to pick them up so a swarm that stays in the hive is cha-ching. Jim

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JB: Thanks, I think we are going to see dryness this year...I hope to get several deep frames drawn to help get things going stronger next year..

Perry: Ha! Thanks! I studied from fall to spring about starting this craft and was getting quite excited to start...so, when I did, I discovered I love it! I hope to get some others around here excited about keeping as well.

Jim: Yes, Ha! Your are right...I discovered the faster things go, the less I have to time to prepare the ground and aesthetics of hive bodies. I just put anything together I can now including using whatever paint is available. I have even resorted to taking apart old shipping crates that were built with 3/4" boards and using them for supers...And yes, cha-ching...money in the bank...

Dave

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Good catch on the swarms, you are getting to be an old hand at it now.

I have even resorted to taking apart old shipping crates that were built with 3/4" boards and using them for supers...And yes, cha-ching...money in the bank...Dave
Didn't take long to start being the "Cheap Keep" :lol:, I always keep my eyes open for 3/4" boards and 1/2" plywood

1 - 7 of 7 Posts