4th Swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by blueblood, May 13, 2012.

1. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Capturing these has not gotten old yet...this fourth one has brought my total colonies to 6. It's probably just as much fun keeping them as catching them for me. I waited all night to get this one. Up at 6am to get them risking life and limb being away from the house on mother's day...:wink:...I made it back in time, whew! I did not want to cut this guy's tree limb, so I shook them. The limb rose three feet back to its original location without the bees on it! Enjoy the pics...
    0513120621a.jpg 0513120636.jpg 0513120820.jpg 0513120831.jpg

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

Way to go blue.Last year I only had 10-20 frames of drawn comb so every time I caught a swarm I put a one gal. frame feeder in and kept filling them.I used migrantory lids so I just slid them open enough to see the feeders and filled them.We had terrible wet weather but they all drew out two deeps in time for black berries in July.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Dave, you're impressing the daylights outta me. Zero to sixty in less than a month! :thumbsup:

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

Congratulations Dave !

5. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Congarts Dave. Nice swarm,Great pics. Looks like you running short on mulch for under your hives, LOL
    I look at it this way, A package is about $100. with shipping or gas to pick them up so a swarm that stays in the hive is cha-ching. Jim

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

JB: Thanks, I think we are going to see dryness this year...I hope to get several deep frames drawn to help get things going stronger next year..

Perry: Ha! Thanks! I studied from fall to spring about starting this craft and was getting quite excited to start...so, when I did, I discovered I love it! I hope to get some others around here excited about keeping as well.

Jim: Yes, Ha! Your are right...I discovered the faster things go, the less I have to time to prepare the ground and aesthetics of hive bodies. I just put anything together I can now including using whatever paint is available. I have even resorted to taking apart old shipping crates that were built with 3/4" boards and using them for supers...And yes, cha-ching...money in the bank...

Dave

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Good catch on the swarms, you are getting to be an old hand at it now.

Didn't take long to start being the "Cheap Keep" :lol:, I always keep my eyes open for 3/4" boards and 1/2" plywood