5-19-2010 Swarm

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bens-Bees, May 19, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Got a swarm call from the City of Knoxville this morning, swarm was on a branch that had been cut down. Medium sized swarm, easiest swarm call ever. All I had to do was pick up the branch with the swarm on it and shake it in the box. The rest filed in within about 5-10 minutes. Probably left fewer than 10 bees behind and was done and out of there in less than 15 mins. I love these kinda calls... actually, I love swarm calls period... haven't gotten enough of them yet this year.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That's great! Did you ask where they got you name from? It is always nice to know what list produced the call.

I still have not had the first call, I give up, now I am going to go and pout a while :(

G3

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Got a call yesterday. Swarm 35 feet high. Worked for 30 minutes to get a pole bucket under them and bring them down. They marched right into the hive. Watched them for 5 minutes, then watched them march right back out again. Gone to parts unknown. Should have stayed home.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

They just said, "off a list on the internet"

Man I'll tell you what, all of my calls have come from the same general area of town, within 2 miles of each other. The weather patterns this winter must have broken just right to leave the bees in this area of town alive. It's all near magnolia ave... but this makes #4 from that area for me... nothing from anywhere else. But I am hopeful that the bees from the rest of the area (if there are any left) will start swarming this month... and on that note I'm going to also harvest some honey (I'm hoping for 4 good frames, and would take up to 6 if they have it) and split one of my hives at the same time this weekend... then move 3 more to another outyard.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

HAHA I don't blame them one bit for wanting to get out of that part of town :lol: :lol:
    That is pretty good the City has your number, they will call you all the time now.

Iddee, that still don't make me feel any better.

G3

6. Monie

Monie New Member

Wanna come up and help with this trapout? I'm sure there will be a couple of boxes worth. :D

7. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

One of the swarms i caught last week was gone the next day, but i think it was the one that moved into one of my swarm traps??? I guess the swarm trap hive had more used furniture (old dark comb). :mrgreen: Jack

8. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I got the impression that it was just this one guy taking the extra initiative because he said his boss told him to just leave it and let the bees move on, on their own but he didn't want to do that since it was in a family park.

I still need to get my name out there more for swarm removal.

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Monie if you were not so far away I would!

SgtMaj....but they did call and you went and solved a problem for them. Since it was an easy swarm to take care of it made you look even better in their eyes, and being in a park even better.

I say they will call you back.

G3

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I can only hope, but it wouldn't hurt me one bit to pay a visit to the parks dept. and give them a couple of cards with my number on it.