5 frame hives

Discussion in 'Top Bar & other Alternative Hives' started by jboy381, Oct 6, 2011.

1. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

will two 5 frame nucs stacked,be the same as one 10 frame hive???i have seen and seen that garden hives are 5 frame...i was just wondering if it is possible...
    john :confused:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

For wintering, it may be even better. Better control of the heat.

3. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

maybe add super nucs for honey storage...hight might be a problem tho...

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You don't want more heat during honey flow. Just during winter.

5. Bee n There

Bee n There New Member

5 frame hives can be more difficult to keep a handle on durring busy times as things happen twice as quick as they do in a 10 frame hive.

6. Omie

Omie New Member

John, I'm a little unclear as to what you mean- are you saying two separate colonies stacked like that and having two separate queens? or are you saying a 5 frame nuc with another box added on top with 5 more frames for them to use? Or combining two separate 5 frame nucs into one colony, eliminating one queen?
    Anything is 'possible'- but you haven't said what goal you are after.

Just yesterday I put two 5-frame nucs into one 10 frame deep box, using a plastic box divider in the middle, and two separate entrances.
    The two colonies are separated from intermingling and they each have their own queen. They share an insulated cover and a bottom board, but can't get to each other. I did this with the idea of them conserving heat over the winter and to utilize the nice foam-insulated 10 frame cover I had sitting around here. My goal was to see if I can bring either of those two nucs through the winter on their mere 5 frames. What's your goal?

If I had more nucs I would have also experimented with stacking two of them vertically for the winter, with separate entrances facing diff directions, and a double screen board separating the two colonies.

7. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

5 frames nucs do not overwinter well in the north. I'm not speaking about North Carolina. But further north, 5 frames just is not going to cut it.

I do overwinter 5 over 5 nucs. But with 5 frame units, the outside walls in winter makes the two outside frames almost useless. The bees are basically left with a narrow three frames for the cluster.

Take those same 10 frames, and place them in a 10 frame box. and the overwintering percentage is much greater.

In a mild winter, I may get 80-90% through on my 5 frame double stacked nucs. In a harsh winter, I might lose 80% of those in the same configuration.

The winter loss in 10 frame boxes, and fondant placed over the inner cover, and my losses are the same as standard winter hive setups. Which has been between 16 and 30% for the past 10 year. No treatments.

I'm sure in North carolina, those figures and the ability to get 5 frame nucs through winter is much better. Up here, it's a bit tougher.

8. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

omie,
    you have a standard 10 frame box...if you took 5 frames and stacked the other 5 frames on top,would it be the same...

i was thinking that 10 frames is 10 frames no matter the shape or size...

john

9. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

i see what your saying,the outside frames are to cold for the bees to use...is that right???

john

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

That is correct.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I would think John that your location in North Carolina is really the critical issue here... as far as I can recall there is a huge variation in topography in North Carolina??? Here I can overwinter in almost any size box (down to a 5 frame mini nuc for example). I could likely not get away with this in say Amarillo where the winters can get pretty severe. in almost all the small stuff adding a bit of feed (generally at each and every spell of nice weather) seems to add a bit of heat to these small units.

12. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

i live in the north central part of the state...25 miles from the VA state line...winter temps here high 20s to low 30s...warms to mid 40s usually...

john

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

But can hit zero some years and normally has a few nights in the teens or below.

14. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

iddee,
    i've lived here all my life,i've never seen zero(not saying it can't happen)...it does go into the teens at times tho...
    john

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

16. jboy381

jboy381 New Member

lol,sorry but i was 9 years old then...just don't remember that...

i tried to look up temps for granville county but could find anything...ashboro is about 100 miles west of me...

lol,john

17. Zulu

Zulu Member

Go to http://www.weatherunderground.com you will find detail history for just about anywhere.