Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was working the bees today and wife was taking some pictures , I was done with the hives and decided to take a video..... seemed like a good idea :cool:. So with phone in hand I started video the bees as I was walking to the hive, and bam I got stung on the eye brow ( I had my suit on but did not have my veil on :chased:) I went to my knees in pain, lesson learned.:crybye:
Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Arthropod Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Arthropod Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Arthropod Beehive Apiary Honeycomb Pollinator Insect Beekeeper Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Honeycomb Beehive Apiary Pollinator Insect Arthropod Beekeeper Apiary Beehive Pollinator Honeycomb Forehead Nose Plant Motor vehicle Vision care
I take some of the best pains meds for my back and I thought my back hurt, now I'm not even thinking about my back pain cause this really smarts:shock: So the $500 comes in where I stepped on my glasses. The bees seemed so calm today 1st video, 2nd video when I got hit
[video=youtube;0cQPSCQfDFY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cQPSCQfDFY&feature=youtu.be[/video][video=youtube;q0wgjtqjF2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0wgjtqjF2M&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
ouch that illearn ya

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Got the T-shirt! :grin:

It still hurts, no matter how long you've been keeping, you just overcome it quicker with time.
Nice shot of the queen in that first picture. :thumbsup: The hive in that first video seemed a little buzzy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Got my first sting 2 weeks ago on the wrist... It really didnt hurt at first... got the stinger out within seconds... started to feel Uncomfortable that night and ache for about 4-5 days ... BUT THE REAL DEAL was the itchiness It was crazy.... I did some research .. 2 things that work best are Ice and toothpaste. My wike works for an allergist and his "compond cream" did nothing...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got the T-shirt! :grin:

It still hurts, no matter how long you've been keeping, you just overcome it quicker with time.
Nice shot of the queen in that first picture. :thumbsup: The hive in that first video seemed a little buzzy.
What are you meaning by " a little buzzzy:???: " ? It was in the mid to upper 70's today and the girls where really on the best behavior from how they have been acting. I would have never considered taking the time to get some pics when they are in their usual mode, last weekend when it was in the upper 90's they where pretty mellow for the 1st time since ( as far as I can tell the bee's that I got in my nucs where not daughters of the queen, seems the more bees that are coming out the more " defensive " they are becoming, hope I used the right word ) Not sure what I'm doing wrong :confused:

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Perhaps it's just me but I almost hear what I consider to be a roaring sound. Did you inspect this hive and see a queen? Is this the same hive that the pictures where taken of?

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
Looked like an attempted robbery was in progress in the 2nd video, and that will rile the bees up a bit. I still use those quart jar feeders, but I made some migratory lids to put them in. Doesn't invite trouble as much as a boardman feeder.

I do not consider my veil optional if I'm messing with the hives anymore. And benadryl works LOTS better than pain meds.

Sorry for your pain. And I know those glasses hurt!

Gypsi

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes pic 3-8 are from this hive did not see the queen but saw uncapped brood. Picture 1 is the rare occasion that I find the queen in these three hives as they are not marked ( note to self order queen marking supplies )In the last 7 or 8 inspections this was the second time I found the queen in this hive, in the one next to it I have seen her 1 time in the cut out/mutt hive I have never found the queen. On the split I did after ordering a queen that I didn't need because I thought the cut out hive was queenless and turned out to be I had a new queen that was not laying when I did the check. So I did a split from the two nucks donor a frame each and they are doing great. Eye still feels like #ss

·
Super Moderator
3,579 Posts
First day pain. 2nd and 3rd itching. Take Benadryl regularly, drink a ton of water.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes pic 3-8 are from this hive did not see the queen but saw uncapped brood. Picture 1 is the rare occasion that I find the queen in these three hives as they are not marked ( note to self order queen marking supplies )In the last 7 or 8 inspections this was the second time I found the queen in this hive, in the one next to it I have seen her 1 time in the cut out/mutt hive I have never found the queen. On the split I did after ordering a queen that I didn't need because I thought the cut out hive was queenless and turned out to be I had a new queen that was not laying when I did the check. So I did a split from the two nucks donor a frame each and they are doing great. Eye still feels like #ss
i like to save money by going to the mountains and cutting my own firewood. One year I got a little too full of my 50+ yr old self and got a hernia trying to lift too much. The cost of the subsequent surgery would have been enough to pay someone else to cut, split and deliver firewood to my door for the next 5 to 7 years. So I'm feeling your pain. LOL!

Now on to a newbee question: Do you smoke the bees to get them off the edges of the box before you restack or re-cover the hive to prevent squishing? Thanks for the cool photos and video!

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
I am with Perry on this one, the do seem a little buzzy or upset to me. In the pics I see several queen cups and even some queen cells.

Does this hive have any empty space? Is this a new queen or are they preparing to swarm? Not seeing very much capped brood either like they could be honey bound.

I had a nuc that was just this very way, crowded to the max and every cell in the place was filled with something (brood, nectar, honey, pollen) and then found a few queen cells in the bottom corner. Looked like the queen was starting to slim down a little and they were a very little on the pissy side.

Litefoot.....yep a little smoke to drive them off of the top bars and box edges, I just hate to hear the "crunch" but it does happen.

Now I just have to ask everybody............bet you watched the last video first didn't you? :twisted:

Tim I like to use the benedryl lotion also, it seems to help with the itching for me.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

Picture boss, wanna see pictures. :lol: Is it swollen shut? That close to the eyes and you can end up with some interesting results the next day!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All the pictures are except the last one from the second deep that I put on three weeks ago. They had most of them drawn out last week so I put a shallow on one and two and put the 2nd deep on three. The queen cells where a concern in one I found one that was neatly opened on the frame next to where I found the queen. In two I found several all that had been neatly opened. As far as the queen on two I did not see here but in the lower deep of both one and two there is capped and uncapped brood with all the frames drawn out except the outside of the two end frames. Maybe they thought about swarming and the temp went from the upper 90's at day and upper 60's at night and within two days of that heat wave we are in the upper 70's day mid 50's night. Smoke yes G3 I use a ton of it on these two hives, and on my self when I'm working them. My mom was joking about medicating the bees when I was doing my inspections, and all I could think of was medical mary-j:grin:'. This is calm for these two hives after the 3rd week from install they have been getting more and more defensive ( my mentor said I have mafia Italian bees and that one of the godmothers put a contract out on me ):rolling:. Usually when I have gotten to looking at the lower deep the hive looks and sounds like a pot of wort that I'd walked away from only to find in boiling over in the garage. Ok Perry here's day two, woke up this morning with my eye glued shut lots of benedryl pills and lotion and yes one is tempted to watch the 2nd video 1st, its like a train wreck you know you shouldn't look but you do any way. Good thing, from my younger days I have had a little practice driving with one eye closed :drinks:
Forehead Nose Cheek Skin Lip

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Now on to a newbee question: Do you smoke the bees to get them off the edges of the box before you restack or re-cover the hive to prevent squishing? Thanks for the cool photos and video!
If I may;
Normaly Set the box on at a angal and twist it into position slowly, this will cause the bees too move out of the way.

If the bees are really covering the frame tops and the hive box, a slight smoking won't hurt.

Murrell

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oooof, that's a doozy alright.

I had a pair of glasses broken because of bees myself once. They were riled up something fierce from a bear attack and we were moving them, and both my entrancing screening and my veil were not secure, and suddenly I had a veil full of bees. I broke my glasses while I was struggling to get the veil/hat full of bees off my head. *sigh*

I have had success using sugar water spray during inspections, maybe it could work for you? Theoretically, the water on their wings makes it harder for them to fly, and then they're distracted by all that sugar water laying around. I read about it, and started doing it when we had VERY angry hives after the bear attacks and moving them...and it's worked well for me for 3 years now.

I smoke at the beginning of an inspection, but only a little bit under the lid and at the entrance before I start. Then, I keep my spray bottle of sugar water nearby. (2 parts water, 1 part sugar) I spray the faces of the frames that are all covered, before I pull one out I'll spray the surface I can see, and I'll spray the next one in line, basically any large surface I can see gets a spritz or two. I generally have one or two frames I pull and have sitting outside the hive so I can look at the others and have space to move them, and I'll keep those spritzed. The spray bottle I have was made for dampening hair...so it's just a real fine mist.

When they're really piling up on the tops and sides of the boxes, I'll try to concentrate the spray onto the tops of the frames away from the sides and give them a few minutes. It usually moves them all into the frames away from the sides so I can put boxes back together without having to brush or smoke or squish them.

Good luck, I hope your ladies start to settle down!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
2 points for having the moxie to post the pic my friend! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Hey Perry he did it to give you the evil Eye:rolling:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
use a little less smoke, tons are not required in most cases unless you are wanting to MOVE bees.
When the bees are hanging on the top of the boxes hitting their little crack pipes they don't want to move brush them off and they go back to the top of the box before I can get the next box back on. I have found out the less smoke I use when re-stacking the more " crunch " I hear and the bees get that much more unhappy with me. The only plus to the bees being in this mood is that when they were uptight they were attacking the few SHB that were scurrying about. Is there any possible way that these bees have gotten some of the traits from AHB in their genes ? Or is it something I'm doing as a new bkeep that has 2 out the four hives reacting to me like this???

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have found out the less smoke I use when re-stacking the more " crunch " I hear
While my girls are quite docile and not mean at all, I also struggle with their determination to sit on top while I'm trying to re-stack. I find I use almost no smoke when inspecting, but quite a bit when re-stacking. I don't like that "crunch" sound either.

And while on the subject of "crunching" sounds, I also have a time getting them out from between frame sidebars. I have seen it stated on here to just gently push the frames together and the girls will move. Well, mine don't. I think my last inspection was the first I've had where somebody didn't get accidentally "crunched" when "gently" pushing frames back together.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts