50's beekeeping

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by crazy8days, Sep 9, 2012.

1. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Have a lady that has what she says is 50's beekeeping. Wanting to know if I'm interested. She is sending me pics tomorrow but it is killing me to try to figure out what she is talking about. Here is her email.

I have some 50s beekeeping things in pretty good shape I found in a house we just bought. I have 3 of the drawers that pull out with the inserts and one that has never been built.

Anyone knows what she is talking about?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

With pull out drawers it sounds like pollen traps. Never can tell, people who know nothing of beekeeping junk will call it everything under the sun.

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Now you have my interest peeked...I hope you drag whatever it is home so we can see it....

4. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I just might! Will post pics when I get them so you guys can tell me what they are.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gonna go with G3, my first thought also.

6. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

hmm might be fun to see whats what from the 50's:thumbsup:

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

anyone know what type of pollen trap John Pluta uses in his video?

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It usually is unless I'm looking in a mirror! :eek:

9. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

They sent pictures. Some of it is trash, some not. They live on the South side of Indy. Told they some of you south siders might be interested in some. If interested pm me and will give you their email add.

Attached Files:

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I asked about the foundation in the supers and she said it was not good but the frames were in good shape. Maybe you melt down the wax?

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would offer $20, and that is if it was close to the house.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

G3, I think you are about 30.00 too high. I've got more and better stuff laying around here I would give away, but can't.

13. Omie

Omie New Member

So by "drawers" and "inserts", she means hive boxes and frames.

14. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Brett,

Not to get off topic but you mentioned John Pluta in your message above. In my Avatar photo I am standing with John Pluta and my 10 year old daughter.

Jim

15. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I'm with Iddee on the price, ha! Send my their email. I wouldn't be willing to give no more than $15-20. The wax stuff is pretty much trash. I am only 15 minutes away from South side. I live southeast...

16. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Those pollen traps John Pluta runs look an awful lot like my bottom sundance ones. I like a lot of John' videos, anyone that takes the time to put them together and post them at no charge is someone who is willing to share information, and that's a big plus in my books.
    :thumbsup:

P.S. Jim, the avatars are so small it's hard to make out some of the pictures, you can barely tell how good looking I am on mine!

17. Omie

Omie New Member

Uh....I just want to know what the heck John Pluta is chawin' on in his videos! ??

18. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I read where you stopped by to see him. Pretty cool!

19. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I drove over last night and picked up the a deep and shallow with frames along with a migratory lid. I doubt any of it was from the 50's. Also, a keep friend of this gal's mother picked up the loose frames. I brought the Tom Landry veil special home but probably will throw it away. I chucked the gloves too. I cleaned the equipment up this afternoon. Ton's of moth damage but I salvaged the shallow, shallow frames and deep frames. The shallow super was in pretty good shape. Coat of paint and it will work. I can use the lid for covering honey during harvest or for trap-outs, etc. The deep was like balsa wood, complete trash. Is there anything I should do to sanitize the frames/super? I scraped the washed with water.

Really nice folks. I had originally shot a price of $20 for everything before the other keep swooped in. She said I could have the leftovers for free. I took some of my pen inventory over and let her choose one as a barter for the equipment. It actually paid off. She has an uncle that owns a shop in Nashville, Indiana and might be willing to sell some of my pens. She is also going to share my business with friends and family. Also, he is looking for honey to sell in his shop. Unfortunately, I don't have the certified kitchen crapola to be allowed to have my honey sold retail. Indypartridge, your down there, so if you have certification to sell retail, I will hook you up. Thanks CRAZY for the referral!

deep mess.jpg deep mess 2.jpg shallow.jpg clean equipment 2.jpg clean equipment.jpg

20. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

Glad there was something that could be reused.