52 DEGREES HERE AND ALL 8 ARE FLYING

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Sour Kraut, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

Brief period of really calm and sunny today, 52 degrees, activity at all 8 entrances.

Going to get colder next week, though.

2. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have to do fondant in the morning. I made it last night, but had grandson here and wanted time with him so I waited and missed my daylight window. going to be 49 in the morning and then dropping

3. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

and now the opposite extreme
    -13 New Year's morning, -10 today
    although we MAY see 35 on Saturday....too cold for them to fly, though

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

this past week and today its been bouncing between 20F and 10F.....next week its suppose to rise a little in temp, I did do an oxilic acid vapor treatment on then last week, I used my home made vaporizer , it took a few minutes. id like to check the mite count and put more fondant in on a warmer day..

5. Gypsi

I'm checking hives Sunday. for right now they all have fondant and a foam board on top, and I have no idea what is going on inside but they were alive before the weather got cold. It didn't get over freezing here today. It was warmer in anchorage alaska (41F) than in Fort WorthTX (26 F)

6. Sour Kraut

Sour Kraut Member

50 degrees today and I have activity at all 8 entrances
    so far, so good...............

7. roadkillbobb

after a week plus of 0 to 20F temps its just about 40 now and I see some bees coming and going from the hive, I looked and thy still have a bunch of fondant, ill add some more before the cold temps settle back in..

8. Gypsi

Mine are coming and going, hitting pollen sub and open feed syrup, but tomorrow I'll be putting fresh fondant in them, and if the nuc is still alive, moving those bees to the top box of the one with 3 boxes, sticking a queen excluder or screen in between. Haven't checked today, went and did my outyard first.

9. roadkillbobb

well the one day of 50F came and gone..lol..its back down to 20F, I put in a bunch of fondant on the warm day and the bees did some house cleaning by taking out the dead bees, not too many so I was happy to see that....to say this weather is crazy would be an under statement..

10. Gypsi

Our high here tomorrow will be about 30. with icy roads and sleet and empty grocery stores.

11. roadkillbobb

LOL..people are nuts, they hear snow or bad weather and they buy a months worth of groceries for a few days like they will be buried alive for weeks at a time..

12. Gypsi

I don't. If it lasts over 2 days it was a real bad freeze around here. Bunny is already out of the garage and back in her outdoor hutch.