65 degrees!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Jan 28, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

It actually got to 65 degrees today! but I was at school all day long and didn't get to take care of my bees. However I did get up early (way before daylight) and put out a couple of quart jars of 2:1 and set them out about 100 feet or so from my hives to see if my bees would find them, and when I got home from school they had them half gone.

It is suppose to be this temp tomorrow and I think I will put some dry sugar on all my hives...just in case. I don't want to put any liquid feed on them yet because we still have a lot of cold weather ahead of us. I did have a lot of honey going into the fall, but I don't know what I have now - I'm not too good at the "heft" test like you guys are. What is the general rule as to "how much" you guys put on. Last year I put a 4 pound bag on each one? Do you spray it with water? Some do...some don't???

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It sounds like you have it going well. 4 to 5 lbs. is the norm. Spraying is only to keep it from falling over the side of the paper. Spray if you put more than the paper will hold dry.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I may be thinking against the grain here. Im not sure I would put syrup out this time of the year on a warm day. While it looks to be a perfect opportunity to feed the bees. My concern would be excess moisture in the hive when the temps drop back down to normal. If I had a light hive this time of year I believe I would do the dry sugar on the top of the hive to reduce introducing excess moisture. Just my 2 cents worth from a different angle but i got a habit of overthinking things :confused:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have to say we think differently there. Syrup inside the hive is a definite no-no. What the bees carry in from outside will be processed and not cause a lot of problems. Dry sugar inside, syrup outside.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

to my way of thinking moisture is really only a severe problem when it turns to ice. I would suspect at arkie's location dry sugar or syrup would work quite well (<usually they are done for different end results).

here I put liquid feed into a hive ALMOST 12 months of the year with no noticeable negative effect.

I would suggest Arkie that you just go with your initial plan put on 4# and spray it just enough to get the girls familar with what it is and go with that. I have found that often time the simple plan is the best plan.

6. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I did just put some syrup OUTSIDE the hives about 100 ft. or so away and they found it. I only put out 2 quart jars of 2:1, I didn't put anymore than that out because the temp dropped the next day. I just set quart jars out in a regular boardman feeder and set it on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

I did go ahead and put 4 lb. of dry sugar on all of them Saturday - it was 70 degrees! and all my hives were alive and really quite docile.

We are getting hammered with the winter weather now - From the looks of the map everyone is getting hammered - those little gals will be hunkering down tonight to keep things warm!

Keep warm!
    Sandra

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Cold here today. Very windy.

Here I put out a couple of tubs of syrup (several days back) and it took them two days to find it. I finally added a squirt of lemon oil (etc) and that got them on the scent real fast.