Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It actually got to 65 degrees today! but I was at school all day long and didn't get to take care of my bees. However I did get up early (way before daylight) and put out a couple of quart jars of 2:1 and set them out about 100 feet or so from my hives to see if my bees would find them, and when I got home from school they had them half gone.

It is suppose to be this temp tomorrow and I think I will put some dry sugar on all my hives...just in case. I don't want to put any liquid feed on them yet because we still have a lot of cold weather ahead of us. I did have a lot of honey going into the fall, but I don't know what I have now - I'm not too good at the "heft" test like you guys are. What is the general rule as to "how much" you guys put on. Last year I put a 4 pound bag on each one? Do you spray it with water? Some do...some don't???

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
It sounds like you have it going well. 4 to 5 lbs. is the norm. Spraying is only to keep it from falling over the side of the paper. Spray if you put more than the paper will hold dry.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I may be thinking against the grain here. Im not sure I would put syrup out this time of the year on a warm day. While it looks to be a perfect opportunity to feed the bees. My concern would be excess moisture in the hive when the temps drop back down to normal. If I had a light hive this time of year I believe I would do the dry sugar on the top of the hive to reduce introducing excess moisture. Just my 2 cents worth from a different angle but i got a habit of overthinking things :confused:

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I have to say we think differently there. Syrup inside the hive is a definite no-no. What the bees carry in from outside will be processed and not cause a lot of problems. Dry sugar inside, syrup outside.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
to my way of thinking moisture is really only a severe problem when it turns to ice. I would suspect at arkie's location dry sugar or syrup would work quite well (<usually they are done for different end results).

here I put liquid feed into a hive ALMOST 12 months of the year with no noticeable negative effect.

I would suggest Arkie that you just go with your initial plan put on 4# and spray it just enough to get the girls familar with what it is and go with that. I have found that often time the simple plan is the best plan.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did just put some syrup OUTSIDE the hives about 100 ft. or so away and they found it. I only put out 2 quart jars of 2:1, I didn't put anymore than that out because the temp dropped the next day. I just set quart jars out in a regular boardman feeder and set it on top of a 5 gallon bucket.

I did go ahead and put 4 lb. of dry sugar on all of them Saturday - it was 70 degrees! and all my hives were alive and really quite docile.

We are getting hammered with the winter weather now - From the looks of the map everyone is getting hammered - those little gals will be hunkering down tonight to keep things warm!

Keep warm!
Sandra

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Cold here today. Very windy.

Here I put out a couple of tubs of syrup (several days back) and it took them two days to find it. I finally added a squirt of lemon oil (etc) and that got them on the scent real fast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts