70 years old, second day ---- BA HUMBUG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Murrell, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Beautiful day this morning, tee shirt weather;

Took riding mower down by hives to mow grass which hadn't been mowed this year in back of hives, about 15 ft. in back of hives hit a yellow jacket hives. :chased:

Tried to out run them, they all all over me and the mower, went about 300 ft. lost most of them, made a circle back to house, those remaining are still stinging,

Shut off mower went into grauge , brushed and stomped on the remainder.
    They got me every were, many in the back of the head, not a lot of hair left for protection.

Called Granny Good Cook thru screen door and told her to bring me a couple of Bendrill which she did.
    She took a look at my face and said she was taking me to the Emergency at the hospital. I didn't object.

The Emergency took me right in, no waiting.
    the Doc and 2 nurses pulled stingers off my face, neck and arms, they took my tee shirt off and one of the nurses said there were about 40 stingers in it.

They hooked up a interveis [ for got what they call it ] gave me a dose of morphine, dose of bendrill, dose of zantac, and several other drugs, and again another dose of morphine at the end, took about 3 hrs.

Swelling was not real bad, gone now, a little itching now, and real tired.

Sorry to ramble, but be carefull out there.

Murrell

Ps. Got to go and try finding their nest - gasoline and a match !

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Murrell, something doesn't jive. Yellow jackets don't leave stingers. Only honeybees do. The jackets must have riled up your hives, or maybe you have a hive of AHB in the ground behind your hives.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hope everything turns out OK.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is what had me also, the stingers in your shirt and skin, at least those were not YJ.

4. Murrell

Murrell New Member

Thanks, I guess it's self denial or something.

Went out and found a body on the floorboard of the mower, sorry to say it was a BEE !!

I went down this evening to feed my 4 nuc/hives no problems,

pulled outer cover off my other 2 hives, no problems.

{ I did suit up ' with log sleeve shirt & veil, chicken now !! ]

My inner covers have two or three holes covered with # 8 so I can look in or feed with quart jars.
    Every thing was cool & calm.

WHY would they swarm me and the mower from that far distance, and not let up ?

I mow 4-5 ft. in front of the hives with no problems, matter of fact did it yesterday.

Could this have been a swarm on the ground ??

Thanks all, I'm getting awful tired, all that medicine I guess

Murrell

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sorry to hear of your incident... and I hope you get to feelin' better real fast. I do know that I can personally take a big does of honey bee venom with little ill effect but yellow jacket stings will really make me seriously ill.

what is to suggest you didn't have both? I would guess an alarm pheromone of whatever kind might have first stung you would certainly be little different from that of a honeybee. once you have been tagged with a stinger any self respecting worker bee is going to join in on the fun.

6. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Another thing, if you do find a Yellow Jacket or Ground Wasp nest, forget the match. The gas will kill them. Setting them on fire isn't necassary, plus it is dangerous. And you have had enuf trips to the ER already.

If a Ground Wasp nest is found, just set a bucket or bowl firmly over the entrance and after a month, probably less, it will be dead from lack of provisions coming in. A friend did this w/ a Pyrex bowl. We could see the YJs trying to get out and the ones that were out trying to get in. Mean, but effective.

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Ain't nothing mean when it comes to killing yellow jackets :twisted: :twisted:

8. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Ouch. So sorry to hear that.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hang in there Murrell, hope you heal up quick. :thumbsup: Heard AHB are in the southern part of Ark. but not made it to Mo. yet. :beg: I read somewhere that 80 bee stings is equal to a snake bite. (don't know what kind of snake). For some reason wasp stings don't bother me as bad as the honeybee venom. :confused: Jack