8-frame equipment

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by d.magnitude, Feb 8, 2011.

1. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I wasn't quite sure where to put this question, but here it goes.

I've been toying with the idea of running 8-frame equipment (maybe even all-deeps) just because the idea of unused stores beside the cluster seems frustrating to me (and I love the idea of all interchangable equipment). It even appears to be more economical to run all-8 frame-deeps vs. all-8(or 10)frame-mediums, or the standard mix. Obviously there would also be time saved in assembling equip., looking through frames during an inspection, handling frames during extraction....

I know even an 8-frame deep is a bit heavier than a standard medium, but what other downsides are there? Might the hive get a little "tippy" with the smaller footprint? Is anybody else out there doing this? I most definitely am not saying this is a superior idea, just seeing if there are opinions on this kind of set-up.

Thanks, Dan

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think 8 frames is fine for the hobbyist. For commercial keeps that stack 4 to 6 supers on a double deep, I think it may be a problem. I am preparing my first 8 frame hive to use this spring, just from curiosity.

3. Sherwood

Sherwood New Member

I intend to try an eight frame this summer, thinking the weight will be easier for this girl to handle.

4. rast

rast New Member

2/3's of mine are 8 frame. They are 7 5/8 deep. I've had no problem and will continue to weed out the 10 frame deeps I have.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

bunch of wimps...

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"bunch of wimps"

Hoooo boy!

:box: :duel: :club:

7. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Hold on, pal.

I was talking about running all-deep 8-frames. Tec, are you running all-deep 10s at the moment? ;)

-Dan

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

no Dan I am a junk beekeeper and maintain bees in anything that will hold them long enough for me to catch a crop. this is a very much old school approach... kind of a 'that'ill work' attitude.

I am adding significantly to my stock of 10 frame langs this year (perhaps 100 new boxes and frames) and on occasions I gander at the stack and think of myself as quite insane (which by most measures all beekeepers are). Really the plan is to get the deeps out in the field at the bottom of the hive and try not to ever move those beast again. At this time I don't ever have an extractor that would extract a deep frame (which just casually forced me last year to leave a bunch of honey in the field <funny how on some occasion non planning works out just fine).

I think you understand the 'yankee bee keeper' and 'wimp' statements are just a joke with me. Actually I think anything that expands the opportunity of various folks with physical limitation to keep bees is a good thing... no matter if you are talking about 8 frame langs or top bars or whatever.

9. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I can definitely appreciate the "use what you got" philosophy. I need to sell some honey this year before I can get any new equipment in good conscience. The 8-frame idea intrigues me, but it is easier to switch up deeps and mediums in the stack than it is to transfer over to 8's (new bottoms and covers, etc.)

Of course I know you're joking, but I may qualify as a wimp for any number of reasons nonetheless. :|

10. rast

rast New Member

I knew to not respond last night to Tec's statement. I just grinned.
    I like the size that I am running (just personal observation on this 1) because I get a full box of bees in the bottom which I feel really helps with SHB and wax moth defense.
    2nd, the wimp factor comes out in the weight.
    There's more I like, but the downside is having to pay more attention to swarming and that it takes more boxes.
    By the way responding to Tec's junk beekeeper status, I feel I scored today. I got over a hundred feet of 1X4's and 1x6's from a house being remodeled. Bottom boards!

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rast you are my kind of guy... and here I am here salavating like Pavlov's dog over those 1X's.

years ago (maybe 1985 or so) my commercial mentor said he though straight 10 frame mediums was a nice way to go. one size frame fits all and even when plugged an illinois depth box is not too much.

12. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I run all 8-frame mediums because I want to do this long-term so I'll need to keep my back good. I haven't noticed anything with regard to mediums being tippy. Haven't really noticed any problems with it actually.