8 frames of Honey and a "sling" test.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by bamabww, Aug 30, 2011.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Since we've had an extended dry spell, I have been reluctant to remove any frames from my supers even though in early June I had 5 or so 70% capped. We entered a drought and a 27 day swing of above 96 degree temperatures in the middle of June so i left the frames in the supers. When the heat wave broke in late July, the frames of capped honey were gone. I suspect the bees used the honey during the drought. That's all I could come up with and a local beekeeper friend said it could have happened, especially with this being my hives first year and the unusually dry and hot weather for our area.

I had planted 2 acres of Jake soybeans and almost that much of Buckwheat for the bees to use and the buckwheat is now on it's second bloom cycle. Our local beekeepers said I couldn't wait much longer to remove any honey in the supers so I inspected them yesterday and found one super had 8 frames of capped honey. I had placed two supers on that hive and the bottom super only had 2 frames they were even working on. I removed the entire upper supper and set it aside and later carried it to the house.

Worried about the amount of honey in the brood chambers, I found I couldn't even lift the upper chamber because of the amount of honey. Each frame was full and the bottom was heavy as well. I closed the hive back up with the one honey super with two frames "active" still on top of the two brood chambers.

I feel like the bees have a good start on the winter supply with the amount I found in the bottom two chambers. They have room to expand in the top (only) honey super if they need to do so.

When i removed the frames of honey at the house, I found one frame not capped. I called my friend and he said do a "sling" test. He said if the "honey" slings out, it's not ready. If it stays in the comb, it's ready. I've never heard of this before but he has given me some good advice so i know he's not deliberately misleading me. have any of you ever done this before?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

absolutely. sometime in the field called 'checking the splash' (a check on how much nectar is coming into the hive). the idea is nectar easily dislodges from the cells and fully ripened honey does not. in the field and directly over the top of the hive I grab the two ears of the top bar with the bottom bar pointed directly away from me and with a flip of the rist give the frame a little quick flip.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm picturing all these little bees saying "Oh, man, I JUST put all that away!"

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

oh man is right Hobie. us guys make a mess and we depend on 'the girls' to clean it up.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

But the second time around it should concentrate faster. Besides, think of all the pleasure you are giving those hard working ladies--letting them collect "half ripe" honey without having to fly to the fields to get the sweet stuff. :roll:

6. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I tried this and the "honey" didn't sling out. I ended up with 4 full frames (both sides) and 3 frames one side only. It yielded 18 pounds of honey which tastes delicious. All of you know what I mean and I can't explain it but there's something special about tasting honey that was produced from your very own hives.

Now if I can sell the 36 eight ounce jars of honey for $16.75 each I'll break even. :Dancing:

Nah, it's not for sale anyway. I appreciate all your help this year, my first with beekeeping.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:drinks: and here is to your second year.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

they're worth more than that--look at it--its GOLD-- and the price of gold is way up.
    Enjoy it with your family and friends, that should pay you richly.
    Carry on! :thumbsup: