#8 vs #4

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Bsweet, May 10, 2011.

1. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Waiting on the ok to start a trap out, can't find any #8 wire can #4 be used instead? Jim

2. rast

rast New Member

It' sold here by 1/8, !/4 etc. I get 1/8 from hardware store. Has to be small enough so bees can't get through it. If 4 is 1/4", no too big.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yep #4 is 1/4 inch, I'll keep looking. Thanks Jim

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Bought mine on Amazon $14 plus shipping for 10 ft. 3 ft wide

5. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

6. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Thanks Zulu & Crackerbee. Jim

7. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Yeh, I bought mine from Amazon and posted on another forum for those who couldn't find it. I was thrown "under the bus" for being so stupid and paying so much, about $20.

I'm here now! :thumbsup:

Walt

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I bought a roll from Ace hardware on the internet, they did not stock it locally (could not find it anywhere). You can order it online and have it drop shipped to the nearest store for pick up, and you save the shipping.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde ... 6103571103

the 3' x 50' is 97 cents per square foot

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

1/4 inch just helps robbersm, i got my #8 at the local MFA feed store. Jack

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

BSweet, forget using #8 hw cloth on a trapout, use the metal window screening instead... save the #8 hardware cloth for screened bottom boards, it's too expensive to waste on trap-outs.

I bought a roll #8 from home depot, they had to special order it though.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And when the screen collapses and all the bees die, tell Ben he owes you a package with queen..... :eek: :p

12. rast

rast New Member

Interesting. Both Ace & True Value stock it here. Ace only carries 24" and TV only carries 36". Neither HD or Lowes stocks it.

13. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Never had it happen, and that's all I use for trap-outs. Gotta be the metal window screen, not the plastic one... the plastic one is only good for sealing the bees in a hive while transporting them... but the metal one can be used just as well for that too.

Oh I guess I should mention that I use some of the wire that I pull off the end of the screen to tie the cone together with. I would make a video showing how I do it, but for some strange reason my JVC digital video camcorder doesn't have any way of transferring the videos to a PC... which makes me wonder why we ever bought it.

So instead I'll just extend an invitation to Iddee to stop by next time he's out this way and I'll show him how I do it... or I suppose I could just take a series of pictures... yeah, I'll just do that... but that'll have to wait until tomorrow... but the invitation still stands Iddee.

14. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I've never seen the plastic or nylon used, but I have seen the metal collapse. It may be the way the cone is made, but teaching it on the internet, I am still going to recommend 1/8 only, just for assurance.

15. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Perhaps the other one collapses when it's not tied... I tie mine together so it can't collapse. I'll show you tomorrow with pics.