9 frame 6"super

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Berniecal, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Berniecal

Berniecal New Member

I have a good story and a bad story, so I'll start with the bad, since everyone prefers a happy ending. :D I have 3 hives, 1 of which suddenly went quiet, but between the jigs and the reels (old Irish expression), a full month went by before I got in and checked it properly. No queen, no eggs, no brood! Plenty bees, but just milling around without much sense of purpose. Yesterday I put in a new queen, and today they are happily half-way through the candy. When she's out and about, I plan to add a frame of brood from a strong hive to plug the hole in the life-cycle. Am I on the right track?
    Another hive is bursting at the seams, (2 9" deeps and 1 6" super) and I added another super today, however it has metal frame rails which only take 9 frames, leaving a little more space between each frame. Pros and cons?? I'm sure this has been discussed before but can't find it.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

1... Checking on the queen 24 hours after installing is a dangerous move. She should not be disturbed for a minimum 3 days, then another week after the first check. I never check one for the first 7 days after installation. Some check after 3.

2...Adding 9 frames of foundation may net you some combs drawn between frames. It is best to have frames tightly together until they are drawn, then they can be spaced.

3. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

I read that if you go with 9 frames, they need to be drawn out frame, not foundation, or they can build crazy comb.

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

You may be able to simply bend over the projecting frame spacer tabs down flat to the hive frame rest ledge and then space the frames as you wish.

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

You can buy a 9 frame spacing tool, [ too expensive ! ]

So, you might want to pull the spacers off your box, SAVE them, when you want 9 frames, take 1 of the spacers you saved turn it upside down and space your frames with it, then put it back in your tool box till next time !

Murrell

6. Berniecal

Berniecal New Member

Wow, Perry wasn't kidding, you guys are awesome! Thank you very much for your rapid response, and I will leave Her Majesty alone for a week, and remove the 9-frame rails, and make it a 10.
    I'm trying not to distract Perry while he's moving home, so thank you again for filling in with advice.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you see him, send our regards and best wishes. His plate will still be on the table when he gets back.

8. Berniecal

Berniecal New Member

I certainly will. Currently he lives 6 miles from here, but is moving to the Annapolis valley area, which is the market gardening and fruit growing area of Nova Scotia, approx 50 miles from here. Beekeeping, of course, is a crucial activity in that area, so he'll be happy. :D

9. rast

rast New Member

I agree with Murrel, but you can make one cheap from those 9 frame rails when you remove them. Just a little wood with them fastened to it and set them down over the frames to space them.

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my skinny little fingers are my 9 frame spacing tool. then again I try to determine when I am and when I am not building clocks.

ps... with a bit of forethought and checking on a regular bases you can start 9 frames in a 10 frame box. personally I do not like permanent frame spacers simply because it limits you to that one option.