9 frame super didn't work out as planned

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by bamabww, May 23, 2013.

1. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

On my strongest hive I had alternated drawn out plastic with new 100% beeswax across the super. I was planning on pulling my filled out frames and was surprised at what i found. The bees had drawn the comb out into the new frames but did not use the beeswax foundation instead just drew the frames already drawn out into the space of the next frame. Maybe the pictures will show this better than I can tell it.

P5233392.JPG P5233375.jpg P5233372.JPG P5233372.JPG P5233371.JPG View attachment 8239 View attachment 8241 P5233366.JPG

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Frugal bees. It took less wax to add to the existing comb than to draw out new stuff. Ought to be easy to uncap for extraction.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you could of course have made this work but how you attempted/set up just did not work out. I think what you tread suggest is that you can work in foundation towards the outside position of the box but you should NEVER randomly insert foundation between frames at the center locations.

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I have two fraems the bees did this on. Both where next to fraems with new plastic foundation. I will simply cut them off when extracting and give them back for the bees to try again.

5. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

I've been told to always use 10 if you are using foundation. In my head I extrapolated that to mean not to add individual frames of foundation to a super with only 9 frames because the spacing would be off. I hadn't thought of what happened to you, but I'll add that to the list.
    Thanks for sharing.

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Great, I was planing on going with 7 frames in my 8-frame supers. Should I start with 8 frames in the box then pull one and space as they start to draw the comb?

8. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I was going to do this but worried about them doing this. I did do it on a few supers that had all drawn comb.
    I'm trying some of those cut comb honey cassettes and they seem to only allow for 9 frames in a 10 frame box. I coated them with wax first and they are being drawn out nicely.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Bamabww, it may not have been what you wanted, but you came out a winner this time---just think of how much easier it is to extract the honey from the deeper combs. It slices off nicely and leaves no lower spots to have to uncap separately. You only have to do half as much spinning. You could have ended up with the bees building their combs between the frames and then you would have had a real mess--tough to remove from the hive, messy to handle, no frame for holding the comb in the extractor, etc. NExt time around you'll get them to do it the way you want.

10. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

wayne, dunno some great looking honey frames to me, and much easier as ef said to uncap. i use 8 frames in my supers.....(10 frame med lang).
    with foundation mixed in a super, the trick is to space evenly (i think you did that), not shove them altogether, and also to keep an eye on the frames, and flip them around, or move frames so the bees are not building into the next frame of foundation, and sometimes they do anyway. also what tecumseh said for better results, about placing the foundation together rather than alternating, but you will still have to keep an eye on the frames outside of the foundation so they are not building into these (foundation facing the drawn comb), and again flip them or move them as the bees are drawing the comb.

if you are starting with all foundation in a super, use 10 frames until they are drawn. when the 10 frames are drawn, pull one out, so 9 frames, and evenly space them across the box. same concept using 8 frames fuzzy, and you want to use 7. let the bees draw the foundation first, then remove the extra frame.

ps, i think you should have placed your comb honey frame near the center and not the end of the box.

11. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

It should work the same if you were using plastic frames, put in 8 push them toget tight and after drawn then pull 1 and space even?

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"It should work the same if you were using plastic frames, put in 8 push them toget tight and after drawn then pull 1 and space even?"

fuzzy, no, not in a 10 frame box with all empty foundation, put the 10 empty frames in, let them draw it out. remove one (so 9), evenly space, let them draw again. remove another (8), again evenly space.

13. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Thanks for all the replies. I'm very happy with the output, nine frames yielded almost 4 gallons of honey! Yes it was easier to uncap but comb this thick doesn't slide in the space allotted for frames in the extractor. But I made it work and have returned the empties back to the hive for cleaning and redistributing later. Live and learn.

14. Fuzzystuff

Fuzzystuff New Member

Gotcha' thanks