A Bad Mistake

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Jul 31, 2012.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I normally would not tell this on myself:sad:, but it might help others from making the same mistake. When robbing hives (60 miles from home) 3 weeks ago,i decided to make a nuc from a very strong hive. I took 3 franes of brood (one with eggs) and bees, and one frame of honey with bees, i shook another frame of bees into the 5 frame nuc.I put the inner cover on (it had a screened hole in the middle, qt. jar size) and left the lid off. the nuc also had a screenbottom board on it. Well when i got home not one bee was alive and some of the larva was hanging out of the cappings:shock:. We are in a drought with temps. 98F to 106F, the temp. that day was 98F, it made me sick thinking what they must of went through. I didn't think they would over heat in the pickup bed with ventilation and speed of 65 miles per hour? The black plastic liner in the pickup bed might have added to the heat also, and after thinking about it i might have put to many bees in the nuc?The girls can take cold weather but not to much heat, so be careful. Jack
    PS. I always take 2 empty nuc's when going to the outyards.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

A sad thing for sure, but it does happen. When doing a cut out I always have to stress to anybody around that when the bees go into the truck I have to leave immediately. I wonder if you had given them a little water if that would have helped matters out?

3. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a cutout on chronic postpone right now. It is 16 miles from my house.

When I have to move live fish (fairly often) at high temps (less often), I cover the buckets with a white sheet to reflect the heat off, then put my truck bed net over the sheet. Would that work for bees?

4. Omie

Omie New Member

Oh, that's very sad, you must have felt so bad. :cry:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

In the words of Forrest Gump: "It happens".:sad:

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Some lessons are so hard to learn. Even for a seasoned beekeeper. I'm sorry.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I use a 3/4 ton van for moving hives, nucs and what ever and during the summer the windows are up with the a/c on and I use a full screen top and a water spray bottle on the girls, like you said they can take a bit of cold but heat them up at all and they dont do well.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

heat can kill bees and queens and extremely fast. more so I think than cold.

and a snip...
    I took 3 franes of brood (one with eggs) and bees, and one frame of honey with bees, i shook another frame of bees into the 5 frame nuc.

tecumseh:
    of course Jack I am guessing as to what 'might' have gone wrong here but I suspect that if you had not shaken extra bees into the box the results might have been quite different. there is of course no rule set in stone in regards to how these things are done but generally when I am making up spring time nucs I would optimally want to shake an extra frame of bees in the box and a bit later on and most especially as I trend into summer time I want fewer adult bees in the nuc. under such circumstance (large number of adult bees in a box as you might have in a swarm box for grafting cells later) almost always required a full screen on the top and bottom.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I like to make up strong nuc's from strong hives this time of year to get new queens (from the frames with eggs) to requeen hives with old or failing queens. I can sometimes get extra queen cells from these nuc's to make up more nuc's, i get better queens this way than most any i have bought. I don't worry about swarming in the spring when i requeen in the fall,but i've had it happen with a super queen. With the high temps. we're having and no nector coming in,(and i mean nothing) my queens have shut down and what few hives i've gone into here at home, i don't see any eggs or new brood. That was the reason made up that nuc, they had more rain in that county and i still have honey to take off up there.:thumbsup: I think like tec. said,i should not of shook extra bees into a already crowded 5 frame nuc with the temps. we are having. Jack