A Change For the Better - Please Read

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Charles, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Charles

Charles New Member

We have a big change coming on Friday March 2!

The Good

We're growing at a tremendous rate and have made the decision to upgrade our forum software from the free phpbb to the much more robust vbulletin software. This change will give us the ability to really grow our forum and offer our members much more in terms of options. It's also a way for us to create more avenues of information. With the new software we can create an entire website around our forum so that we can have a complete website in addition to just the forum.

The Bad

During this transition we are going to lose a few things so I wanted to warn you in case you would like to make some backups. When we transition to the new software almost everything will move so you shouldn't lose anything with the following exceptions:

1. Avatars will not move from this software to the new so make a backup of your avatar and be prepared to have to add it to the new forum.

2. Any Folders that were created for storing PM's will be lost. The PM's themselves will not be lost but anything you may have stored in a folder you created will get put back into your inbox.

3. Passwords will be lost. I'm really sorry about the inconvenience this one causes. The passwords are stored in our database encrypted for your safety. Even an admin cannot see your password here now. When we transfer your account to the new software all passwords will be replaced with randomly generated numbers and letters. It will not be difficult to reset your password and I will be creating a post showing you exactly how to do it. Just an FYI for those of you familiar enough with forums, the way to reset your password is going to be clicking the "forgotten password" link.

4. All blog comments will be lost. The blog posts themselves will move but not the comments.

When will this happen?

We are working hard to get vbulletin ready and are planning on changing over mid day Friday March the 2nd. That's in just a couple of day's so it's all happening pretty fast. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause but as I said before this is a change for the better! If you have any questions please post them here or PM an Admin or Moderator.

Thank you all for helping to make this forum so great and I hope this investment in our future is as fun for you to use as it was for us to set up.

2. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

Sounds like a good change... :thumbsup:

Ed

3. rast

rast New Member

Go for it. Good sounds like it outweighs the bad.

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

after spending some time working on the new format in the background I can honestly say. I think the new changes will be well recieved. It also leaves plenty of room for future growth

5. Marbees

Marbees Member

Sounds great :thumbsup:

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looking forward to seeing the changes :)

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In this digital day and age, the rule of thumb says "At all times be ready to accept and adjust to change". :thumbsup:
    The problem comes with some people who take time to adjust can't quite keep up with the pace. :oops: But I'm sure it is all for the best.
    At this point, I think a good word of thanks is well in place for the administrators and moderators. They all do a splendid job behind the scenes of keeping things moving smoothly and maintaining the quality of this great forum.
    Carry on. :yahoo:

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Very well put! :goodpost:

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

2 :goodpost:

once again :hi: to the administrators and moderators of this forum.

10. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Were you worried about us swarming? :mrgreen:

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

ROFL :thumbsup: :lol: :goodpost:

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good one Eddy :lol: :rolling: :rotfl:

13. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Thanks for the heads up & good luck with the transition!

...JP

14. Charles

Charles New Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

15. riverrat

riverrat New Member

you never know :D

16. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

Are you going to enable tapatalk for mobile users?

17. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I'm sure that if my wife found out that I had a queen cell somewhere I wouldn't have a chance to swarm :p Jim

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad I read that. Going to have to save some pics of beehive frame supports to my plans file! They are comments!

Thank you for the notice.

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

First post after move, just to see that it works.

20. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

It works. I've got a question (naturally). I use an old 15" crt here at work and the message area seems much smaller than it use to be...seems the sponsor table and recent article list on the right is taking up a good amount of room. ??? Just thought I'd mention it. Looking good!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: I'm using Firefox 10.0.2.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012