A Dilemma With a Sweet Solution

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by Slowmodem, Apr 30, 2012.

  1. Slowmodem

    Slowmodem New Member

    Messages:
    1,936
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I needed to check my split today to see how it was doing. There are a lot of busy bees and drones, and what looked like (I hope) queen cells. It's been a month, and I would have thought there would be a queen by now, but I'll give it a few more days before I put another frame of eggs in there.

    BUT, I figured I'd stick my head in the top of the other hive to see if they were making honey yet. Well! The honey super (10-frame medium) was absolutely full! I was tickled to death about that until I realized that all I had were 8-frame boxes in the shed. Hmmm. I need to order some more 10-frame boxes, but what to do until they get here?

    I remember seeing 8-frame boxes on 10-frame boxes with a board covering up the open part, but then I remembered that I'd need an 8-frame top. Hmmm. well, my solution was to pull a frame of honey and put an empty frame in there to give them a little bit of room. I took the frame up to the house and got a big plastic bowl, some big funnels my wife uses for her canning and food processing and stuff and made a makeshift strainer thing to get the honey out. I really didn't have time to review books about how to get honey off comb. I did see a youtube video last week about crush and strain. So that's what I decided to do.

    Man! That's good stuff! I got about a quard and a half off of the frame (the half is still draining). I used a tea strainer-type thing and cheese cloth. I hope that's enough straining. It got the big stuff out anyways, and it is great tasting honey. First honey!!!! I can't believe it! (I'll have more pictures later)

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Omie

    Omie New Member

    Messages:
    2,845
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Awesome. :d
     

  3. Iddee

    Iddee New Member

    Messages:
    8,996
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    So take an eight frame box out there and fill it with honey. Put empty frames in the 10 frame. Take the 8 frames into the house.
     
  4. efmesch

    efmesch Active Member

    Messages:
    3,708
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    36
    An alternative to Iddee's suggestion would be to move everything (or as many frames as you want) into 8 frame supers and set aside the 10 framer. A ten frame roof on an 8 frame super should be no problem if it's flat and you have a top board that fits the 8 frame super.
    Remember that, so long as there is no brood in the hive, the bees should build well and fast since they aren't expending energy on raising the brood. That's probably why you got things built so fast Take advantage of their building speed while you still have no brood and ad foundation frames. This is the time to build up your stock of frames.
     
  5. Slowmodem

    Slowmodem New Member

    Messages:
    1,936
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I thought I'd add some pictures of my hi-tech extracting equipment:

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
  6. Omie

    Omie New Member

    Messages:
    2,845
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Great going, Greg!
    I found that by making a little 'tent' with a sheet or tablecloth over the strainer and the bucket with a lamp, it kept the temp like 85F and helped all the honey drip and flow out of the crushed wax better. it was easy to do on a table:
    (sorry I can't figure out how to make the picture smaller)
    [​IMG]
     
  7. Zulu

    Zulu Member

    Messages:
    973
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Great, first honey is always awesome.

    Great idea Omie
     
  8. Slowmodem

    Slowmodem New Member

    Messages:
    1,936
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0

    Good idea! I had thought about warming it up someway. Time really wasn't on my side today, as I had to get ready to come to work this evening for the 12-hour night shifts this week. Hopefully, I'll get my ducks in a row and be better prepared in the future.