A dud from Dadant

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by LilWilli, Dec 8, 2009.

1. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

I appreciate them sending the nails for the frames--I really do, but why in the world send them all mixed together in one sack? Is it supposed to good therapy for a beekeeper to separate nails?...If they are short on little lunch sacks, I'll send 'em some next time....Otherwise, everything is just rosey. :roll:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like temporary Christmas help. I've always gotten them in separate bags.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Reminds me of the time my husband upset the big plastic box with all those dividers and different size stainless steel bolts in each one.... ooh such language!

4. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I think it's wonderful that they.....

1) Are keeping prices down by using one bag.

2) Using less bags of either plastic or paper, thus saving trees or less manufacturing of plastic products.

3) Saving landfill space

What is there...two sizes...maybe three? So you throw them out on the work bench and use them one at a time.

No big deal....... :thumbsup:

If I ran that company, I'd be looking at ways to cut costs, save resources, and do exactly what they are doing.

Way to go Dadant! :Dancing:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

There is an old saying..................................

Penny wise and Pound foolish. Does it apply here? :confused:

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

No.

I've ordered many things...lawnmowers, power washers, kids bikes, and many things that need assembly. I almost always get a bag and you need to sort the various size screws, nuts, washers, etc. Do I ever intend (or ever thought to) to call one of these companies or complian...No. Do I expect each type nail or screw to be in their own bag....no!

Fact is, Dadant supplies the nails for the frames as part of the product. They put them in one bag, just like every other product I have ever bought.

Now if you buy from the other bee supply companies that DO NOT include the nails, and you need to order them separately, then they come in neat little individual packages, and you pay accordingly.

Dadant actually is giving great service by PROVIDING them as part of the frame. Many beekeepers, fail to order the nails from other suppliers when they order the frames, then attempt to put them together with everyday nails they happen to have in the garage. And they butcher the frames, split the wood, and basically do a poor job.

Dadant at least recognized the NEED for the nails, and include them. And for the (many times new) beekeepers who would of failed to order them as so many times happens with other places, at least the Dadant customers HAVE what they need to do a good job, as the nails are very specific for the task at hand.

So look for the good thing they do, and quit trying to make a big deal out of some nails in a bag. I would think for some rednecks....that would be something that could be handled. :thumbsup:

I expect that sort of stuff from New York City prissy folks. :lol: But not from the others... :drinks:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I wasn't downgrading Dadant. Like I said above, they have always put mine in separate bags. Kelley also supplies nails with their frames and have always separated them. Both are great companies in my opinion.

8. LilWilli

LilWilli New Member

Sorry I mentioned it...... :thumbsup: :lol:

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I many times order 2 to 500 frames at a time and once a thousand. I do not relish sitting down to sort out the nails for them so, Thank you I will order from Kelleys where the different sizes come in seprate bags. Plus if I remember right the frames are less costly in the first place.

:mrgreen: al

10. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I skip the nails altogether, go with the best shipping, which usually involves buying from the local producer....the same one that supports my business, the associations I belong too, and is actually part of the states bee industry. I also buy from the one's that support our conventions and will bring the products to the meetings, where I can save on shipping.

Since I don't relish picking up each and every nail, let alone do it twice by separating them out prior to using, which I find comical, I use my air nailer. Much faster. Easier on my fingers.

I feel bad for anyone still picking up nails and hammering each and every nail for thousands of frames. That must really suck. Let alone, having to separate them first into nice piles.

No wonder this stuff bother you guys..... :lol:

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I buy mine pre-assembled, both glued and stapled, for .65 each. Too much trouble doing them myself.

12. rast

rast New Member

Yeah, I use an 1/4" crown air stapler.

13. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Lil Willi - it may be worth while to call Dadant and...NOT complain, just make the observation that the nails were all in one bag which made things difficult. Speak with the attitude that you are either a) pointing out a mistake that was made (that respectable companies will want to know about so they can correct the issue), or b) making a suggestion that may help their business. Don't call expecting anything, but I've often had appreciative companies make amends when you don't rant and rave.

Alternately, children are great for sorting nails into bins.

14. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I find it to be a pleasent thing to do when it is near zero out with the wind blowing to sit by the wood burner a pile of frame parts soaking in a bucket of water, a multa frame assembly jig and hammer out a bunch.
    Kare does not allow me to have a compresser in the house because they are just to nosiey she says.
    Are not any little children at our house either. The grand kids live in another state.
    In the summer I to use a crown stapler to assemble frames but a lot are done in the winter to get ready for spring.
    Yes it is a tiny thing to have the nails in seprate bags but it is also the tiny things that spell customer service too. It is a little thing that says we want your bussness.

:mrgreen: Al

15. rast

rast New Member

OK AL, I'll bite. Why do you soak them in water? Type of glue?

16. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I was wondering the same thing, do tell.

G3

17. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Keeps wood from splitting

18. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

YUP Keeps the side bars from splitting. Also I use gorllia glue so it needs the parts damp. Never had one of my frames pull apart.

:mrgreen: Al

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my older (I really like to use the 'older' term since turning 60 it make me feel soooo much younger... don't ya' know?) bro iddee writes:
    Penny wise and Pound foolish. Does it apply here?

tecumseh:
    as to iddee question see my ps below.....

sounds like a small production line screw up and hopefully this is not some mistaken notion by management as how things should be done. like hobie suggested.... I would notify the folks who sent you this mess and inform them in fairly plain language that this does NOT represent QUALITY customer service.

ps.. in my small way of looking at stuff the worst thing you can do is to say nothing. the ultimate outcome of this sticking your head in the sand and saying nothing is a constant (and predictable) deterioration in quality in everything you purchase from this supplier. initially this reduction in quality only cost you, but in the end will almost invarible result in the demise of the supplier also.

20. Walt B

Walt B New Member

One thing we have been doing is thanking suppliers, companies etc. for having good service or doing something that seemed "over and above" the "normal". We figure if we're going to complain (and we are), we'd better be ready to praise.

Seems to work out OK. If you want to drop the concept down a knotch to everyday individual relations, it works there to. ;)

Walt