a dud queen?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Whats the waiting period for a new queen after hatching to start laying? the max I mean, I have a hive with plenty of good coming in the front door and the queen has not laid a single egg, maybe 3 weeks now, if she was not mated I would have at least a drone layer by now :confused:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

26 days after emerging should do it. Some say 19, 35 days after egg is laid, but I like to give them an extra week.

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

so after hatching she can go another month until laying?

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

mating does depend on weather and most especially evening temperature (lots of queens mate in the early afternoon). rainfall and large wind events can also cause mating problems.

really my question zookeep is 3 week from when?

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Tec the queens been hatched for 3 weeks now and she has not dropped 1 egg, she looks big and healthy and the workers follow her around like normal but no eggs, need to decide soon if I need to get rid of her and combine with a nuc before I loose a full deep of bees to age, there is no new bees hatching now.

6. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

On the following page is a calendar with approx. dates based on traditional time frames. Many times, I have queens laying before the dates mentioned. But it can take awhile.

http://www.nsqba.org/smallscalequeenrearing.html

Is there any flow going on in Florida right now? Do queens lay year round? I don't know. Many things go into why or when a queen lays eggs. We are coming up on the shortest day of the year, so perhaps between lack of flow and the still shortening of the days, the bees (who really are the ones who encourage the queen to lay), just are taking a break.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

in florida I dont think they ever stop laying , I looked at my deep nucs and they are packed with brood and the full size deeps have brood also, Ill wait 1 more week and if no eggs she is toast.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

I've read that some perfectly good queens just take an extra week or two to start laying well. As others mentioned this is the season with the shortest days of the year. I say give her a chance- another 10 days... or you may wind up even further behind if you don't see the eggs and replace her hastily. I think it's a good sign that she looks good and the workers are following her around.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I agree with the Yank's. :thumbsup: Jack

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the clarification zookeep.

another week will likely not cost you much. here any proper queen* is shut down and will remain so until the first week of January. as the day start getting longer on or about January 5** almost like magic in much of the northern hemisphere queens begin laying once again.

*currently any queen that does brood up excessively in late November and December get themselves on the next spring cull list.

**via Dr Larry Conner

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Ill wait a bit more then, Ive already past the point in age of the workers where most are going to be dead before the 1st new hatches anyways, just going to have to watch with a eagles eye that I dont loose the stores of pollen and honey to shbs or moths when there numbers start to drop. thnx for all the help guys :)

12. larry tate

larry tate New Member

Had one like that for maybe close to 3 months. Got one out of a hive that was for sure laying put her in.A week later no eggs. Hmmm bees were getting rid of them? Put a little pollen sub in ( they had plenty of honey) guess what. Eggs and larva.

13. jb63

jb63 New Member

Can you add a frame of capped brood?

14. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Bees live longer in the winter because they don't fly and wear there wings out. Which brings to mind (tec. i put heat tape on my helmet, my brains thawed now) has there ever been a steady on how long a bee can live if it's never allowed to fly? In other words confined to the hive, or how long a drone could live if the girls didn't kill them off? I don't recall ever reading or hearing a study on this. :confused:

15. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

its not a pollen problem, theres plenty on the frames and more coming in every day, also its 80 here during the day and the girls are flying everywhere so they not gonna live any longer and in another month to 6 weeks we start having flows again, I just dont want a near dead hive just when the flows start up, so she has 1 more week, then its a combine with a nuc and she is in the queen soup if no eggs.

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

jack writes:
    Bees live longer in the winter because they don't fly and wear there wings out.

tecumseh:
    exactly correct. it is much more accurate to think of a bees life as miles flown and not in time. I seem to recall 750 miles as the maximum life time for a worker.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

To add to the mystery,(i have read somewhere?) that according to scientist a bee should not be able to fly, due to body size in comparison to wing span. :confused: Jack

18. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

thats bumblebees.

19. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Bumble bees yes and honey bees also. Google- should honey bees be able to fly. :confused: Jack

20. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

good news, today I looked and I have some eggs, now I dont know if they drone or worker, in another week or so I should know.