a email of trouble

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well I guess Florida is at the beeks throats again over removals, I just got this email and here is the main section of it: From one beekeeper to another. I can appreciate your trying to get around the law but,You may not be fooling anyone but yourself.Down the pike from the State of Florida.Cease and desist orders will be enforced.An excerpt from a recent letter to Florida Apiaries.Any consumers can apply to anyone.

Please inform beekeepers that they may not charge for removing bees. That is pest control and if there are any consumers that complain about that we will enforce the pest control law.

Michael J. Page, Chief
    Florida Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control
    and this is in response to a ad I have if the owner buys the hive Ill put the bees in it at no charge

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Don't charge for removals. accept donations to support relocation and care of feral bees. And provide a receipt for the donation signed by both parties. jim

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

zookeep, what is the pest control law down there?

get a pest control license? (don't know that's an option), i would do what jim said....
    incredibly amazing.

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I would suppose that charging for expenses such as gas, car, cell-phone use and purchasing and maintaining equipment, etc. should not be considered pest control. On your statement for signing, you might even mention that taking the bees was done for free.

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

But why ?

Why is Florida getting its knickers in a twist ?

Background please. :confused:

6. Americasbeekeeper

Americasbeekeeper New Member

Mr. Page discussed getting around the law and fooling at the meeting with Florida beekeepers. It is called "aggravating circumstances" in court. It not only substantiates that you knew what you were doing was wrong, but there is an additional criminal charge, or increased punishment for intent to commit a felony, and charging for bee removal in a structure carries a $5000 administrative fee, with possible fines, etc.
    Florida Pest Control law is in F.S. chapter 482 and F.A.C. 5E-14.
    There are several legal options now and there is an initiative to allow removal without PCO licensing.
    1. work for a PCO on paper
    2. only remove swarms
    3. get the license
    4. support the law change so you can remove colonies without a criminal record
    Keith Council, VP of FSBA is the major supporter of the law change and he works under a PCO.

7. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

So, I guess the Licensed PC people are the ones behind all this by complaining to Mr. Page that they are loosing revenue to the beekeeps charging for removing the bees for a fee and keeping the bees alive???? :confused:

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

considering what gary said zoo, i wouldn't want to be going around it....you were sent a warning. if someone gets a bee in their bonnet over this, they might be inclined to enforce it on a beekeeper as an example.....

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I'm on seversl pest control co.'s list in my area. When they get calls on bees, they call me and either i, or one of my club members take care of it. They tell me they don't like killing honey bees, but if i see that i can't handle it,then they will come out. So far we found ways to deal with it.:thumbsup: Most people i talk to think it's illegal to kill honey bees in Mo. (it's the state insect) i don't tell them any different.:grin: With all the talk of honey bees becoming a endangered species on the news the last few years, it looks to me like the beekeepers in Florida could hold those in charge feet to the fire. Jack

10. Americasbeekeeper

Actually PCOs want to stay away from bee removals/kills.
    Consumers get their money back and possibly a reward for turning in violators.
    Except for stopping the move to allow beekeepers to remove colonies, raising a stink will keep removing bees a violation period, as it was before Mr. Page initiated a law change to allow removal, just saying why shoot ourselves in the foot.

11. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Im sick of gov people , Im starting to think the best way to fix this hole mess is to round up page, the EPA people who seem to work for Monsanto full time and all these other Gov idiots and spray them down with the same poisons that they say are safe and just watch them twitch. the way I have been doing removals involves no money in my hands at all, the person with the bee problem order the hive boxs them selves and I do the removal for free, and as far as shooting ourselves in the foot, little late for that worry, its all ready a crime to save the bees, and Im not sure about the PCOs in your area AB but here in Sarasota they spray with little care at all, Ive lost count how many times people have said to me "wow I didnt know you could save them, a month ago I had a hive sprayed and they scooped them out with a shovel" and at twice the price and dont offer to do repairs

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

ABK, if a place of business had a hive in their building, can they let an employee remove them on company time?

13. Americasbeekeeper

First let me say I am a beekeeper, work for Apiary Inspection, and speak for beekeepers interests.
    AES enforces the control of animals, insects, reptiles and anything else not covered. About every exception, special case,"what if" was mentioned in the meeting. If they are not a free hanging swarm it is wrong to move, manipulate, manage, invite home without a license.
    The laws and rules Apiary and AES enforce are made in Tallahassee. We do suggest or explain why a change is in the state's best interest as Mike is doing. However, all the criticism and bad publicity is probably going to go against the beekeepers in the end. We were doing so well getting good honey laws, right to sell honey, right to keep anywhere, protection from theft, etc. They can still rescind the swarm removal with enough criticism and complaining. On paper it is still illegal. They are just allowing swarm removal.

14. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

$ wins out again over common sense, 1st when did honeybees make it to the pest list for PCOs anyways? it is just wrong to kill honeybees and some states have made it clear it better not to but Florida and its overpaid under informed (stupid) Gov people are so far behind on figuring things out, to live remove a hive I should not need to know anything about poisons or there lasting effects or any of the other crap PCOs need to know to further screw up the environment, I have walked away from removals when I was asked to kill them, I wont, and never have, About every exception, special case,"what if" was mentioned in the meeting. If they are not a free hanging swarm it is wrong to move, manipulate, manage, invite home without a license. simply put if they are not a swarm kill them cause PCOs dont do live removals what its come down to is beekeepers either have to come up with a bigger bribe then the PCOs have done or just let the wild bees die and thats a shame

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Just to explain why I asked, a licensed electrician is required to do electrical work for pay, but a factory can have an employee do electrical work within the factory. I was just asking if the same applied with bees.

16. Americasbeekeeper

Phone and cable repairmen carry a can of wasp spray too. I can only repeat what we are told in the meetings. If you plead no contest it is a $1000 administrative fee. If you contest it is $5000 per incident (or colony) and possible felony charges.
    There are no bees I have to drive and work an hour to remove worth that to me. I can make splits and not risk liability, physical harm, fines, fees, and loss of freedom. Just me!
    Oh also one guy spent the day in the hospital and insurance will not cover illegal activities. $36,000 for a few bees? I don't think so.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Gary, you are starting to sound Like Jerry. Maybe you should get rid of his old phone. Something may be rubbing off of it. :D

There are legal exceptions to all laws, even killing another human. It sounds like you are trying to help them hide any possible exceptions that may be out there that are perfectly legal.

18. Americasbeekeeper

Someone asked me if the phone had a chip installed. It could be mind control, never know about that Area 51 stuff.
    If you look at my web sites. You would know how I personally feel about swarms and colonies. Should I delete the videos?

19. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You shouldn't delete anything. I'm just ribbing you a bit.

On .com, there were too many to sort through, and I didn't find one titled swarms and removals.

On .org. I didn't find the videos. Maybe you could post a link.

20. Americasbeekeeper

A friend of mine, who could be my twin, did this removal from a birdhouse. I think the bees are still at the USF Botanical Gardens to this day. It does show that if you do the removal at your place there is less risk of mis-adventure (and getting caught). It was actually done at the USF Bee Workshop as a class.
    http://americasbeekeeper.org/USFBG_Videos.htm