A few questions:

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Eddy Honey, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

My first question is about the pattern on this frame. It seems to have lots of drone cells. I guess the bees know what they are doing and can keep count. This hive was queenless when I got it 6 weeks ago. What we're seeing now is the result of their emergency supercedure.

My second question is that a couple of frames seem to have worn out foundation and the wires are showing in some places. Since it is the towards the middle in an eight frame brood box, how/when can I replace it...they're using it!

Lastly, there is a picture of newer comb with capped brood, my wife thinks these are all drones because the cappings are slightly raised. I say no because the cell diameter if you will is smaller like worker cells. Comments?

Attached Files:

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

looks like you got a lot of drone cells. I am thinking you either got a queen that didnt get mated or you got a laying worker. to get the frame out of the hive rotate it to the edge of the brood nest with a frame of pollen and honey between the brood nest and the frame you want to replace. Once the brood has hatched remove and put a new frame of foundation in next to the brood and they will pull out the comb and put it to use. If it is a frame of drone brood I would pull it out now and replace with the foundation.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

It's a bit confusing because that same queen has given me a few frames like this:

Attached Files:

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

those frames with the drones was they pulled out as honey frames or was they always brood. is there any frames that look like the latest picture posted. if not I would say something happened to the queen. Maybe tec or iddee can nail it down for you

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

There are several frames like these. There were 2 frames that seemed heavy on the drones. They were more in the 3rd and 6th positions of my 8 frame deep. They were always brood. Maybe they'll take matters into they're own hands and supercede her. We're going camping in 3 days so no time to order a queen until the week after next.

Attached Files:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I shall refer to your pictures as 1-5. It would have been interesting to see what order they were in when you removed them from the box + 'some other details' which I will get to after the pictures.

Picture 1: kind of hard to discern real detail given the straight on angle of the camera. looks kind of like drone cells.

Picture 2: a mix of worker and drone cells. older frame... that could just be the cells that were there and the queen filled them up. the drone pattern at the top and bottom of the frame is not where you would expect it, but it is an old frame.

Picture 3: a better mix of worker and drone cells. again an older frame.

Picture 4: good pattern. again an older frame.

Picture 5: a good pattern and the frame looks a bit newer.

I think a lot of the answer you are looking for is about old comb and you got what mix of worker and drone cells that came with the old frames. The idea case is if the most heavily droned up frames were to the outside edges of the box.

As previously suggested you can move the drone comb to the outside of the box and hopefully these becomes store for nectar and pollen once the drones hatch. I also have no problem in raking (a fork, capping scratcher works the best although a hive tool will do me in the pinch) drone brood and letting the hive clean up the mess. If you rake it down to rib it may get rebuilt as worker comb.

'some other detail'... where in these pictures was the majority of uncapped brood?

as I hope you know I don't see a large problem here that you cannot easily resolve.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Pic 27 = 4th frame
    Pic 28 = 5th frame
    Pic 34 = 6th frame side one
    Pic 38 = 6th frame side two
    Pic 42 = 7th frame

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

So the most heavily droned up comb was towards the outside of the box... 8 frame stuff correct? with the most dominate worker comb towards the center of the cluster?

pretty much how you would expect things to be.

ps... when I say place the most heavily drone brood towards the outsides of the box this could also be above with the idea that you really would like to move it outside the center of the brood nest.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Thanks tecumseh,

This is frames # 7, 8, new frames that I put in when I purchased the nuc.

Attached Files:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you are very much welcome.

11. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Documentation has helped me come to a conclusion. I have pictures of these same frames from early May and again in late May. You can see the same drone pattern from the old queen that perished when the apiary was putting together this nuc.
    It appears I'm now seeing the second batch of drones in these same cells.
    I believe tecumseh was correct in that the queen is laying whatever the cell calls for.
    I do think it is alot of drone cells and that I need to give them some new frames to build new comb, hopefully worker comb.
    I anticipate a population explosion given all thecapped brood and have added another medium for a total of 1 deep/2 mediums/8 frame.

12. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think it is a lot of drone cells also. I also think you are quite correct that this might be the time to consider a program to replace these comb with something a bit more fresh.

13. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Checked the hive after getting back from vacation and it looks much better, lots of capped worker brood, lots of larvae and eggs. I added a top feeder to see if I can spur comb building. I'm trying to have plenty of comb built going into my first winter.
    I added feeders to the other hives as well as an experiment lol. So far they're drinking like sailors!